Points giving and critiques - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Points giving and critiques

I've been wrestling with the idea of giving points for quite a bit of time now. I know that I should stop being so silly and just critique and then go and do something else, but it's about time I got it off my chest.

I've tried being friendly and sincere, but a lot of the time I can't, and find that I go back and edit the critique or erase it. I have some wierd and innate need to find a flaw or to suggest an alternative way of taking the photo. I don't always do this and do genuinely like some photos and try to explain why I like the photo.

Now I know some people say they don't care about points, but putting half a smiley on a photo can have a powerful effect on one's esteem. I've had several angry replies and also a fair number of angry emails protesting my harsh critiue , but I very rarely feel sorry for 'offending' someone. This is something that I'm not likely to change my opinion on, but I have decided to alter my points giving. Also, as a community (which were are all part of) I don't feel I'm being a 'nice person' by leaving a harsh critique and half a smiley. I think that I have to be a bit more friendly and less hostile.

So. Unless the photo is technically flawed I will give a green smiley regardless if I personally like the photo or not. BUT I will explain why I like or don't like the photo.

If it's technically flawed or someone's just posted a half-assed attempt, I'll give half a smiley.

If it's crap you got a confused smiley.

Why am I writing this? Do i want people to change the way they write critiques? - no i don't
Am a an attention seeker? - no I'm not. I just wanna get something off my chest.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Points giving and critiques

Critiques are your personal opinion of a photograph. If people don't want to receive honest critiques I would suggest they are posting on the wrong forum.
I probably give more 1 point smileys than 2 point as I thing giving out the 2 pointers too easily devalues the site.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
TE Senior Member

Having just glanced through your written critiques I don't find anything wrong with what you're doing currently.

You are straight out in your thoughts without tip toeing around, I like that.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Will,

I'd have to agree that the whole points thing is kind of immature, and critiques are much more valuable. Giving someone 2 points is pretty much of zero value (unless they like having their ego stroked of course), but giving critiques as you do will potentially be of much more value.

What I've found is that its a lot harder to get feedback if you don't run around using your full quota of smileys each and every day. Unfortunately as a result I don't think that my photography has improved one iota from being a member here. It is good, however, to find that there are other like-minded members here who appreciate feedback and will give it in return. There seems to be less and less of that these days though.

Ron.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 AM
TE Expert

Critique honestly but politely. Thats all you have to worry about. And I know you critique politely.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
TE Expert

Good to get this of your chest, it declares a bit your problem at the same time putting so much weight on the technical part of a photo wich is IMHO not the essence but wich can only enhance functionally your outmost unique personal approach.

In other words a good compo/colors/sharpness/contrast ... doesn't make a photo yet, certainly not when it doesn't radiate or tell us something. Techniques only help to translate that in your unique way.

So the basic of an evaluation is to empty your mind, making abstraction from all you know and ask yourself the question, do I like it or not. The adventure to explore the reasons of your first virgin impression makes you discover within yourself elements that you even never thought of before.
And when you like a photo, it is most pleasant then to indicate or even making a WS how you would enhance the photo along your interpretation by techniques as a tool for yourself to remind for your next shot with your camera.

Often I see how marvellous a shot can become in a WS, indicating the enhancing capacity of techniques very well, but then still the photo has to radiate something from the start otherwise it is only an excercise experimenting enhancing techniques.

I'm afraid that giving too much attention to techniques as a tool you risk to loose the inspiration of the moment you got from wondering looking around the world to end up with empty, not radiating technical perfect shots, a premature sign of the burned out photographer ?

Keep on wondering and enjoy with an open mind using functionally the tools camera and techniques to share your most unique visual experiences ...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Thats some good words there Oochappen! I think you're right about the 'first virgin impression' and maybe iam worrying too much about the technique. I'll bare that in mind next time I critique.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Will,
I have a love/hate thing with the point system. I have decided to give everyone two points and a smiley regardless of what I think of their images. The only time I change that is if I find an image to be severely wanting from someone who should know better. For example, someone who has three years experience on TE and 500,000,000,000 points who posts a picture of a tree in bad light with half the leaves missing, etc, etc, etc. Then I will use the unhappy face and give zero points.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
TE Junior Member

I have an explanation on my intro as to why I do not give or accept smileys and for my style of critiquing. As we seem to have similar views I suggest you read mine and do something similar with your own intro. Follow up with a pasted-in short explanation on the first 10 or so critiques. I've had only good feedback from it which suggests that we are not alone.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Will,
i don't think there is nothing wrong with your attitude and it would be bed if you change it. If you are being honest with your critique and giving your opinion and those who posted the photo doesn't agree they just have to answer you, politely, and saying why they don't agree with you. There is never need of being harsh towards someone who's tring to express his feelings about something he's watching.
If they don't have the capability of accept a critique and return with unpolite answers to you, then IMO you should ignore them as they do not deserve the time you spend making a constructive critique to them, maybe they like more 'wowsss' or something like that.
Accepting the others opinions and taking out from them the correct ideas is a good way of learning and enlarging our photographic skills, if someone don't want to then pass it, there are lots of persons here who want to have honest critiques and want to enlarge their knowledge.
My 2 cents about your doubt.
Cheers.
Paulo