Yes or no?! - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Yes or no?!

Hi Laurent!
I had a look at the site and now I know why they can`t give you money.It`s run by the german Government and Germany is getting poorer and poorer.........only joking.I think it`s strange that they don`t offer some money.
They write about copyright :"We try to get copyright for all uploaded articles and photos.If it`s not this case please contact us"
So they don`t steal photos.
The site is for political education,with worldwide articles about politics and social conditions.Actual and historical ones.
I don`t think people go there for viewing photos.

Yes or no? ,to answer your question.
The result will be the same ,no money.
Like Kevin I gave my permission to show some of my Myanmar photos at a polish site,a private run virtual online guidebook about Asia.
Unfortunatelly written in polish only, but planed to be translated soon.
If you don`t want to sell images ,you should keep them at TE and say NO.
Have a nice weekend,
regards,Leo
Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Laurent-

I should start off by saying that I am a professional, and I do make a living off of my photography.

Having said that, I should also say that I do let some use of my images go for free to some organizations (NGO's, Non-Profits, Mission Agencies, etc.). However, I would not let a gov't agency use any of my stuff with out compensation. Your photography is worthy of compensation, and you should request as much.

If you would really like to have your stuff published by these people, and they won't pay, request that they hot link the images to your website or TE account page.

In the end, your decision is obviously up to you. TE can be a great sounding board for subjects just like this.

It never hurts to ask if they can compensate you. I went to the site, but alas, I can't read German. It does look like they have some sort of check out system on the site, so they may be making money with it.

Good luck!

~Vic~
Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Trying to translate ma previous post, be indulgent.
JL
I had experience several times of people who asked for the permission
to me of use one or more of my images for illuster a book, specifying
that they did not have funds to pay but in against part engage to
sent to me a copy of the book or work in exchange of my authorization.
To date I always await the not held promises of these people.
It is sad.
Herewith a copy of promise of a person of the USA.
Quotation "Jean Louis.
Thanks for the photograph and the permission to uses it. Yew you would
like has Copy of the book with the postal picture in it please just
send me your address." End of quotation.
So,I sent my address since already a long time... Jean Louis.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Vic
The Polish website promised to provide a link to my TE website. The permission that I gave then specifically excludes selling the rights or passing them on to any third party. I believe them. We have to trust somebody!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Laurent-

Kevinos makes a very good point. Make sure the website will not allow ANY third party usage.

~V~
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
TE Expert

Every year there are literally billions of photographs produced around the world.

The people that produce them do so for a billion reasons.

If you produce images specifically to sell them - realise a financial return - then you should hold out and make a specific case that your motivation is payment.

If you produce images because you wish to share them more widely with others then this is a fine opportunity to provide that to happen.

If your motivation - either way is tempered by helping a not for profit enterprise realise their purpose - then there is another decision.

I sell work and I share work - no one is paying us to show work on TE but we do....if someone has a budget to pay ...then fair enough....if they don't but the benefit is more important to you than money.....then you will make your own right decision......

Every year there are literally billions of photographs taken around the world........

best wishes Kev
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Mine really aren't of a professional quality, so selling them isn't much of a concern. Wouldn't know how to go about it if they were.

That said, I have let a few of mine be used on websites for free, so long as I knew which ones and how many they were wanting to use; that my name would stay next to them and I believed in the cause for which they wanted to show them. I also recently had a photo picked in a Lonely Planet competition (I actually didn't know the end result was that they were going to be published when I entered, I just thought it was for fun). Didn't come with a lot for payment, but decided it'd be kind of cool to have a photo published in a travel book.

So, I guess I'm saying that if I didn't figure the photo had a high cash value anyway, and I felt I'd be proud to have it shown where the requestor wanted to put it, or it was for a good cause then I'd do it. If it was for someone looking to make a profit off of my stuff, and didn't see fit to share, then I wouldn't be interested.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for these suggestions, it gave me some different POV's!
Laurent
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 AM
TE Expert

!! Marilyn was logged in when I replied the forum....! So my last message came under her userID!
Laurent
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
TE Junior Member

I had the same request by another journalist for the same dossier. And I got a few for my picture
Bets wishes
Achim