beginner could use guidance - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default beginner could use guidance

I'm Tom and I am relatively new to the photography world. I took a few classes in school, but thats about the extent of my training. I just love taking pictures. I saved for a while and bought a canon eos 400D, it came with a 18-55mm lens, and thats all I have right now. I'm completely open to any suggestions or tips anyone has to offer for me, because right now my photos are about as basic as you can get. Thank You, I plan on keeping in touch.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: beginner could use guidance

hi tommy,
welcome to TE!
i suggest you surf around a bit and then start posting - it's the best way to get advice and tips to improve your technique - if needed of course :)!
have a great time and see you around,
dora
Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Tom,

The best way to really take a step forward in photography is to discover what's possible. A lot of what you see posted here and elsewhere doesn't really push the boundaries of photography that much, but if you go to exhibitions at galleries etc. you will see a lot of inspirational work (and its all about inspiration or else we'd be happy with our snapshots). The most useful process I've ever been through is to find work that inspired me, and then tried to figure out why.

After that its a good idea to pick a subject that you are interested in and see what you can do with it. Again, look for inspiration, experiment, and see if you can take it in your own personal direction. You probably have a handle on some of the technical stuff already, but that's only a starting point. Also, don't worry right now about 'chasing technology'. Work with what you have because you will find that you will have much more of an impact on your final results than your equipment.

Good luck. If you have any more questions feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Ron.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
TE Senior Member

hi Tom, and welcome :) although i'm new to this site, i know you are going to like it here.
i agree with Ron that one of the two important things is to understand what in a photo makes you grab your camera and get out.
the second important thing, at least on my list? read your camera manual, and carefully. trust me, it helps :) the scientific element of photography - the camera - is the tool for creating, but it's no good if you don't know how it works or what can you get out of it.

wishing lots of great shots,
Kristine
Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Tom,
Kristine was right about the manual and if you need impressions about the results of this, have a look on all the captures done with the EOS 400D (or also 350). You can see how the possibilities of this one are used.
For sure this doesn't help on creativity, it is "only" technical advice.
Lieben Gruss, Ulf
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Are you still keeping in touch Tommy?