To Polonaise: Bringing them closer - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great vapours 2007-11-12 4:57

An excellent shot Alex, everything just seems so calm and relaxed here as the boat, island and clouds all roll into each other and appear as one.

I'm assuming from the watermark that you've experienced some photo theft?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Polonaise: Bringing them closer

Well, I see your point about bringing them closer, but I have two reactions. First, I could not realistically get closer because they certainly would have reacted to me, so I could not have captured their (seemingly) innocent youthful interaction. So there's the option of cropping, but I already cropped the image by about half, so much more would make it very low resolution.

Second, I think we all have to be open to multiple kinds of images. You can focus on a particular human interaction, avoiding all distracting context, or you can deliberately include context, as a canvas on which the interaction can play out. Neither should be treated as "always preferred." For me, this scene has a nice graphic canvas of blue, a space in the city in which the young pair can be alone together. So there are context-free photos and there are photos involving a canvas, and they should both be in a photographer's bag of tricks. Had I somehow been able to be closer without interfering, I would think a great context-free shot would have been possible (by someone--I might blow the photo op myself, you never know!)

Have a great evening--regards, Ken.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Polonaise: Bringing them closer

Good point, Ken...

What I was thinking is of a bit less of that blue canvas (not realizing that is already cropped quite enormously)...

Long photo lens could be really handy in such situations...

"Never leave home without it !'

Other than that...Charmingly presented photo of - INTIMACY in the middle of a big city...

Ciao

g.