Re: Posing - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-15-2003, 04:21 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Posing

Thanks for your comment, Mitch. I have to say that I wouldn't have preferred a posed shot. My goal was to get a spontaneous moment, which I think I achieved. Asking japanese kids to pose has a way of producing fake grins and "peace" signs.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:00 AM
TE Newbie

"Asking japanese kids to pose has a way of producing fake grins and "peace" signs"
-Yeah, they do that here in Korea as well. It's quite frustrating. Wonder who started it?

I agree that the candid, non-posed shot was a good move here. Posing would have taken away what was special about this.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:06 AM
TE Newbie

I agree that the posing might have made the picture less spontaneous. I guess what prompted me to make the comment was the fact that you had to sneak the picture. I have always felt that doing so implies something unethical. I don't mean it to sound as it probably does, I just think that if a picture is taken, one should be open about it. For me, I would have just taken the shot quickly and asked the parent it they would like a copy emailed, or sent to them.

It's just me. No slight intended. Just something that I have always done.

Mitch
Old 06-16-2003, 05:46 AM
TE Newbie

Mitch, I can see where you are coming from. But understand that any "sneaky" aspect to the photo was just to assure that I didn't disturb the spontaneous scene as I capture it. I wasn't trying to do anything unethical.

My perspective is that, as a tourist on a public street, it is accepted (even expected) that I'd be taking photos. Of course I could have tried to talk to the mother, but I don't speak japanese very well, and most tourists don't speak the local language when they are travelling abroad.

As a general principle when photographing, I ask myself this: If I were to be stopped as I took a photo and asked what I am doing, and I can answer honestly without fear or guilt, then I am doing nothing improper.

In this particular case, if the mother approached me, I would have just smiled, pointed at the girl, and said "kawai ne!" If she could understand English, I would have added that she is the most beautiful little girl I've seen in all of Japan, and I wanted to get a photo of her for my travel album. I don't think I'd get any complaint.