To emka: To Andre - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2014-06-28 6:07

Hello Andre, I find the similarity with the famous photo by Steve McCurry, (I knew it :))and I like the clever title. But I am not convinced with the perspective from above. Strange perspective, with the feet so tiny. But colours and sharpness are perfect. And amazing look.

Watm regrads MAlgo

Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM
TE Expert

Talking To emka: To Andre

I thought about Afghan girl, and now I read what you wrote to Gert. Stupid of me. Yes, now the similarity is obvious when I saw Workshop. Excellent composition inspired by classic,

regards MAlgo
Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM
TE Expert

Hey Malgo!!!

Please don't worry, it's actually my own fault...

I know every single photos from Steve McCurry, I have a couple of its books, I look at its website every now and then, and because he is one of the top photographer alive, I wrongly assumed that everybody is familiar with his work...

He's the one Kodak gave their last roll of films to, for him to create the last images with the iconic brand, the one who made multiple National Geographic magazine covers, the one who famously dressed as a Taliban and infiltrated the borders to document the Afghan War against the Russian, the one who would go 20 times on the same dugout boat with a flower seller, shooting the same scene one morning after another, to eventually capture the perfect frame, the one who documented India under monsoon, walking in the streets with water up to his chest, the one....

Steve McCurry is for me the most amazing photographer, he goes to every extremes to achieve what he has in mind. Shooting buildings and mountains is a great hobby (and I do it extensively myself), but shooting with dedication the way he does is a sport... The guy have survived two plain crashes, he survived a murder attempt by two Indian men who attacked him from behind, holding his head under water while he was shooting a sacred celebration in a river.

Steve McCurry is the one who have set-up standards in documentary photography, bringing esthetic to higher degrees.

My best friends offered me a book from him for Christmas 6 years ago, and this book affected me in a way no other ever did. Once I received this book, I realized that for me, portraits and human depiction were much more significant than landscapes, architecture and sunsets (although I appreciate the best work done with these subjects). I scrutinized his book dozens of time, and I am still impressed and inspired by his work, with shots he did 20 years ago.

Looking at Steve McCurry work is a real photography masterclass, and this is why I have made this monk shot, directly inspired by McCurry's work.

Best regards,

André

Last edited by InasiaJones; 06-28-2014 at 02:01 PM.