To SnapRJW: Fill Flash - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great SnapRJW 2014-01-24 0:28

I like the trio of heads and the way three pairs of eyes are focused on the object which obviously holds their attention Andre. What is it? Did you use fill-in flash here? I am not a fan of flash at all but if you used it here the shadows are soft and unobtrusive. Any hints? Candid and intimate portrait. Have a good weekend. Rosemary

Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
TE Expert

Default To SnapRJW: Fill Flash

Hello miss Snap!

I was myself intrigued by what they were looking at, as I didn't pay attention while I was there. I assumed it was a GameBoy, but after paying closer attention, it is actually a small pocket camera.

To answer your second question, no, I don't use flash or any kind of reflector, although it would be useful in some occasions. Like you, I am not impressed by the result, looking like a shopping mall family photographer with cheesy umbrellas, and even with a hand held flash out of the hot shoe, I just felt that it takes away all spontaneity, particularly in casual shooting like for this photo.

But that was before watching a recent National Geographic program showcasing their best photographers, where one of them, Chris Rainier, was using his flashes in an interesting way, involving movement, panning and second shutter flash, making me reconsider my negative perception about deceiving fake results associated with flashes. I wouldn't use them in a static way, but for special effects involving dances, rituals, ceremonies and movement in low light conditions, I think it leads to stunning and professional results.

But in the case of the monks shot, light coming through many windows was bouncing on walls, probably providing this soft filling light.

For an interesting and inspiring photography lesson, have a look at this top shooter gallery.

http://www.chrisrainier.com/

Thanks for your comments Rosemary!

André