To TE site owner: Time for Pay TE? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
TE Expert

Default To TE site owner: Time for Pay TE?

It seems to be a new policy to allow ads with pictures and/or moving flash at TE. A disturbing and unwanted advertising when looking at the fundamental for this site: Members photos.

Will the site owner offer an adfree option, ev. by paying for an adfreefree version?

(a solution with installing a new browser, turning on and off Internet options etc., depending on being at TE and/or other sites is for me not an alternative).
Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To TE site owner: Time for Pay TE?

If you use Firefox as a browser, there is an add-on called Adblock, which I find will block those annoying left side moving adds. It is possible to specify filters also.

Hope this helps, but I expect the advertisers will soon find a way round it.

Peter.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
TE Expert

Hi,

I confirm that the couple Firefox/Adblock works very well to block advertisements internet...

Regards

Philippe
Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM

The running of the site does seem to have changed markedly since its sale by Adam. There seems to be little or no feedback from those running the site to any concerns raised.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 AM
TE Newbie

When did Adam go? I owe him such a huge debt of thanks for creating this site!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 AM
TE Expert

The site is owned by someone else, but Adam has not gone anywhere he's still here.

- Dan
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
TE Senior Member

I've noticed these pictures/animations appearing on the left side of the navigator and find them really disturbing indeed.

I will try to check what I can do to block them on my navigator (methods are described for that on another thread about this topic), but I will certainly not want to pay for TE.

I think TE is a fantastic platform for discussions, exchanges and learning between us, but we shouldn't forget something very important to my point of view:
The work done by Adam and possibly others is great for this site and I can understand that the commercial aspect are important to keep it like it is. I understand also that the new owners have to make profit out of it. Nevertheless, without our contributions, there's no TE. It's as simple as that because the core of the site is composed by the photographs posted by the contributors. In this sense, I'm sorry, but I think it would be totally unfair to ask us for money to get access in acceptable conditions to a site that we feed every day with our own material!

Just my 0.2 cents...

Cheers.
LB.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
TE Expert

Default Is it possible to have an answer

In these days where the moderators are in full swing.
Is it possible to have an answer from the owner of the site of the possiblity to avoid all the flash advertising by a payTE arrangement (for those who want).

Maybe one of the moderators could get in contact with the owner - hopefullt they will know whom to contact..

(thanks for advice with regard to different browsers and ad blockers - but this is not what I ask about)