photos for a book - would you agree? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 06:07 PM

Default photos for a book - would you agree?

I was recently contacted by a person wanting to use some of my photos in a cofee tbale book:

---------------------------------
I have recently got involved with the project of publishing
a Coffee Table book on the spirit of India. The book would
be printed out of Singapore in large format, hard bound and
on art paper. It would consist of 200-300 images. The
current edition is branded and there are limitations on
size and number of images. The publisher however wishes to
come up with another edition which would be a bit more
elaborate and contain more images. We are looking for
amateur as well as professional photographers to contribute
towards the book

Do let me know if you are interested.

and then another mail:

This is regarding the coffee table top book I was talking about the other day. The publisher is "sth India". The Coffee Table Book would be printed out of Singapore; the first edition would be 3000 copies. It's for worldwide distribution. The first edition would have around 200 images and is branded. The second edition would have more content as well as images.

The publisher would want
* Non Exclusive perpetual reproduction rights for multiple editions/ books
* Rights to edit / crop / fit in multiple layouts

Also
* Copyright would rest with Photographer
* Credit Line for Photographer would be provided in all editions
* One copy of the book for each image used would be shipped to the Mailing address.

Please let me know if you have any queries and I would mail the Acceptance document accordingly.
---------------------------------------------

would you agree to that proposition? obviously they don't want to pay for photos... I think it is a new publisher, I only found 1 book published by them on Amazon, about Tirupati, it goes for 300$.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: photos for a book - would you agree?

I would think hard. I know because Im part of a team thats putting out a book here in Korea, Im one of he editors and Im publishing my photos in the book. There will be compensation for both my photos and my editing work. Would I do it without compensation? Id have to think about it. I guess it depends on what this book can do for you in the future. For me, the goal is to do a solo project so getting my name out there and being known to the publishers is going to lend me their ear when I propose a solo project later on and it will also get me (hopefully) some magazine publications with the company. What will this do for you? Will you be happy with having your photos in what might be a nice book? Will it lead to future projects? if so, maybe youshould go for it, if not, what are the downsides?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
TE Expert

I would say no.
Don't believe you have anything to gain from it unless other photographers are of National Geographic calibre and you could gain something by being associated with them. They can make money on it forever, you don't get a penny. If they are making money out of it, so should you. You already have been published in number of places and there is nothing for you in it, if it was me it would have been a different story because just someone asking me to put up my pics would be an accomplishments, for you there is nothing there.
If they were called National Geographic or Magnum that would be a different story, even for free.
Peter
Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 PM
TE Expert

continued...

and since they are a commercial venture and their main goal is to make a profit, it's a definetely big no in my opinion.
Peter
Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
TE Expert

same opinion as Peter... a big fat NO WAY.

There are humptieth of photobooks populating the unsold shelves of discount bookshop... more photographer names than you'd ever imagine.

You have NOTHING, I mean NOTHING to prove on your photo being printed in a book that would (not) sell to very few people. Self promotion? well who'd know that, if the book hasn't been sold? It would probably send a message that you're ready to give your photos without being paid.

Book publishers should cut it with their ambition of making money on the back of unpaid writers/photographers/illustrators. My poinion again : SAY NO!

Cheers
Luko
Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
TE Junior Member

This sounds like something that I heard described in another forum. It works like this - the publisher gets photographers to submit their photos for free, because of the honor of being published in a glossy book (and lets face it, it's the dream of many photographers). Then they sell copies of the book to the contributing photographers for an exhorbitant price like $100 or more (or else they add on all kinds of shipping, handling and processing fees adding up to the same). Also, they now have perpetual rights for the photos, which means they can use and re-use the photos as many times as they want and for as many purposes as they want. You would have lost control of your best photos, and received nothing but a copy of a book in return, which you might even have to pay for!
I think this sounds bad, and if they are legitimate they would pay for the photos they want to use.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
TE Expert

get paid for your published photos, Maciej, unless someone is reporting on you (like the Cardiff Sunday paper), and get involved, team work, in any project of book where your photography will be printed. IMO, you are way beyond waiting by the e-mail box for "interested in India" to get your ball rolling. Time to be pro-active!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 PM

I had a similar offer from a Canadian publishing house which I turned down. I felt slightly bad because they wanted it for a children's encyclopedia, but at the end of the day they're making a profit from the book, so why not pay you for your work?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Je suis d'accord avec ceux qui disent non ( et qui le disent gentiment et avec des arguments solides), et je l'écris en Français pour que tout le monde comprenne bien qu'il est necessaire d'avoir une politique très stricte d'utilisation de nos droits...
Ne donnez jamais de droits de reproduction ou d'utilisation d'une photo sans maîtriser l'utilisation qui en sera faite et surtout bloquez la possibilité pour l'acquéreur des droits (qui sont toujours "d'usage") de l'utiliser en dehors (par revente ou cession) de la cible initiale (celle que vous avez convenu).
N'accordez pas de gratuité même si vous êtes amateurs parce que vous dévalorisez la propriété intellectuelle, et vous faites baisser la quotation des travaux des professionnels, et qu'aussi vous perdez la possibilité de bien vendre votre travail quand il interesse vraiment quelqu'un de solvable.
Il y a un cours pour tout travail qui va vers un livre et un contrat qui va avec dans les sociétés d'édition et les maisons sérieuses sont à l'affut de photos qui vont avec leurs écrits - Il y a une négociation possible si votre "côte" est plus élevée.
Il ne faut pas se dire que donner gratuitement vous permet de vous faire connaître, l'option de publier sur internet fait déja de vous quelqu'un de connu et les auteurs et les documentalistes vous voient.

Tenez bon, si tout le monde dit "No fee No Photo" les choses seront dans le bon ordre et cela permettra à des jeunes qui ont la vocation de se financer.
jean Michel
Old 10-27-2006, 04:26 AM
TE Junior Member

I'd do it.

I'm not in photography for the money (I'd be very poor if I was!).

My photos tend to sit on my PC gathering cyber dust. If I could get one or two properly published in a coffee table book and keep the copyright, get a credit and a free book - I'd be quite chuffed with that.

I'm a keen amateur, nothing more. Would I say 'non' for the sake of a few $s? Nope.