"I'd love to have that photo in my wall!"-just an idea - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-12-2004, 02:35 PM

Default "I'd love to have that photo in my wall!"-just an idea

I'm not sure if this was previously discussed but would it be possible for members to sell printed copies of their photos through TrekEarth?

Would it be possible to create an area where members could show which photos were available for printing, the price , characteristics, etc...

I believe eventually this could be a way, for all that wish so, to earn some money (maybe not much) and for Adam/TE to have a help in the site expenses.

Is this worth of discussing to "cook" better the ideas?
Old 05-12-2004, 03:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Default "I'd love to have that photo in my wall!"-just an idea

To be honest I've not clue if anyone would want to buy any of my photos...they're not exaclty, you know, masterpieces, but there are a few members who do have nice shots here that some people might be interested in buying.

But this raises another question: is TE just about sharing photos or it is about trying to get noticed in the pro world of photography (and by pro I mean actually selling your work for profit...or close to it, anyway). I think there are many other ways outside of TE where one can sell their photos and get a larger response if one wishes to do so, but I don't think that TE is the right place for it. A picture book? Sure, that would work, if the profits went to Adam for site managment and exposure for us, but turning TE into a stock agency or something similar...I'm not sure.

Anyway, this is just IMO. I'd like to sell my works, don't get me wrong, but I feel that I'm not ready to do so yet. There is so much yet to learn (and so many pictures to take) that I'll hang on for a while and see where this will take me.

But if anyone is interested in selling their photos online (or getting noticed) one place that is worth the money, I think, is this place:

www.ozimages.com.au

Also, I heard that some people were asked to have their work purchased when they created gallieries at PBase (www.pbase.com).

Fil
Old 05-12-2004, 04:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "I'd love to have that photo in my wall!"

Just as a reminder, how to purchase print or digital image on TE is fully explained in the FAQ (question 14)
Old 05-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Default "I'd love that photo in my wall!"-just an idea

"I don't think that TE is the right place for it"

In my idea the possibility to sell prints of the photos through TE would be just like an extra feature. It would never replace the original concept and TE would not become a stock agency. I would not want that also.

"I'm not ready to do so yet"
This would be optional. Only those who wished to sell would participate in this area.

"if the profits went to Adam for site managment and exposure for us"
One of my ideas was that part of the money would revert to Adam/TE.

Who knows if this could not work as an extra incentive to all and to the site! To some this could work as a motive to get even better at the art of photography.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 PM

Yes, but I was thinking about a specific area like the Book area.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
TE Expert

Well I understand. I just though there's already a way for people to buy picture by contacting directly the owner of the pic. Maybe it is not that obvious for everyone as this possibility is hidden in the FAQ and not everybody read the FAQ, maybe there could be a link that's says "order a print" from the photographer's intro page to that part of the FAQ.

Now what I'm gonna say is strictly my very own opinion but this is what I think I have to say it. TE is such a great online community. In almost 15 years that I've been roaming the Internet (When I started everything was pretty much text based, html was still a project in some lab in switzerland) TE is the best community I've ever been a member. And I've been in many communities and in some I've also been an admin and act as a moderator. But most the communities as they were getting more and more successful and getting more members, went down the drain as cleavage started to appear. And what was the cause of the cleavage, mainly competition and arrogance. Everybody knew better than the other and you end up with groups of people flaming other group people in forums. In TE eventhough there's many very good photographers, this spirit of competition and arrogance is not there. In contrary the advanced help the beginners when in other place the beginners will be called newbies and be laught at be the advanced.
Now here is my point, I think (but I might be wrong) that introducing commercial, business and money into the site might introduced competition among the photographer. And maybe more advanced photograpers might become a bit reluctant to gives away ther tips as they might fear that other might copy their style.

But it is strictly my very own opinion.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:48 PM

"introducing commercial, business and money into the site might introduced competition among the photographer"

About this I believe it depends much on how things are planned. The most sucessful photography site in Portugal has not a comercial area and the competition there is a horrible thing. Maybe the comercial issue is present there indirectly only because the home page is made with the photos of the Contest, and people try to get noticed winning the daily, week and month competition expecting to get noticed in the professional area but the selling prints is not present there.
I've participated there for a while and when I was going to win the monthly contest and be published in a magazine I've erased all my gallery because I could not accept the things that I saw there. So I understand what you fear. Selling prints I don't feel it represents this kind of danger. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows...

"maybe more advanced photograpers might become a bit reluctant to gives away ther tips "
Those who do not wish to help don't do it by now I think... Only if this ideia was a HUGE sucess I belive this could be a risk concerning a small amount of members.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree with Romain 100%. Nothing more from me on this topic. He stated everything perfectly.

Fil
Old 05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Now here is my point, I think (but I might be wrong) that introducing commercial, business and money into the site might introduced competition among the photographer. And maybe more advanced photograpers might become a bit reluctant to gives away ther tips as they might fear that other might copy their style.

It would depend on how its done. If the site simply facilitated purchase of prints then the transaction would be between the buyer and the photographer. There would be no competition because nobody else would necessarily have to know the transaction took place.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:30 PM
TE Expert

Default Re:

"It would depend on how it's done. If the site simply facilitated purchase of prints then the transaction would be between the buyer and the photographer."

This pretty much what we have right now only that you need to read the FAQ to understand that you can contact to photographer directly to buy his picture. That's why I suggested a "buy a print" link on the intro page (or on each picture page) that will direct the buyer directly to some kind of procedure on how to buy the print. Off course the photographer will be free to activate or not this link in his profile configuration page.
I think that would be better than to have a special section for this.

It is still strictly my very own opinion.