"Illegal character in city. Only letters, numbers..." - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-12-2005, 02:11 PM
TE Newbie

Default "Illegal character in city. Only letters, numbers..."

Illegal character in city. Only letters, numbers and the following characters are allowed: -.)(][

I get that when i tried to post a picture.. I used the letters and in the city name (, and is a part of the danish alphabet and classified as a "letter") so why doesnt trekearth allow them to be posted?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:19 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "Illegal character in city. Only letters, numbers..."

I believe it is due to database technical restriction (some type of field doesn't allow those characters) and not due to some design decision.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:48 PM
TE Newbie

im a programmer/web developer myself and i've never had any problems fitting , and into fields that accepted other, more regular char's. I didnt test it out, but then i assume it doesnt take german umlaud () either? and there doesnt seem to be a problem in this field.. :P

if its like you say, then it would propably a good design decition to use another type of field to save the names in, like for instance the CHAR field that take 255 characters -or VARCHAR if they want it a bit smaller. Those fields takes all letters and are the ones most commonly used in situations as this.

But i just think its their verification script that just doesnt have , and typed into the string of allowed letters, perhaps it slipped their mind that everyones alphabets isnt a-z ;-)
Old 06-12-2005, 02:59 PM
TE Expert

But i just think its their verification script that just doesnt have , and typed into the string of allowed letters, perhaps it slipped their mind that everyones alphabets isnt a-z ;-)

There's been discussion about this before and I'm pretty sure that it is a field type issue. Adam (the creator and only admin of this site) probably fix that some days but I'm sure that he has much more important things to do for the site. Being french I'm suppose to use many accented word too but it doesn't really bother me if I can't do that for city names.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
TE Expert

I may change this later on, but please be aware that if you are editing the photo in a non-English language, you may input any character for city name. It's only the 'English' city in which those characters may not be entered, which are not part of the English alphabet.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:51 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Adam, I didn't know that.