To Royaldevon: unclear ownership - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-02-22 2:49

Hello Gert,

From both angles, this building is awful, from its dilapidated condition to its boarded up windows. (Though I am sure Craig would enthuse about it!) It is surprising that something in such a state of decay is central to an attractive area. I know, sometimes, you leave something because you are not sure what to do with it and, after a while, you cease to notice it. But councils have a greater responsibilities than individuals at home!

On the plus side, your photograph is a fine example of good composition:a strongly placed focal figure and a curving, guide line that is irresistible.
The textures are undeniably sharp.
There is just a hint of humour. I couldn't help thinking that the road sign, which is out of view of the lady, is intimating that she should be going the opposite way, away from the ghastly building!

Have a good w/e,
Bev :-)

Old 02-22-2020, 05:10 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: unclear ownership

Thank you Bev,
In Slovenia I was told, by an expert on city planning and architecture, that unclear ownership was a reason why some dilapidated buildings were left among the many beautifully restored houses in central Ljubljana. So much had collapsed along with the Communist regime that nobody knew which person/company/organization owned certain buildings. Documents had been lost, owners had left the country, or organizations/companies affiliated with the party had ceased to exist. Who had the right to pull down certain buildings? Who was willing to pay for demolition?
There may have been similar problems in most other countries in former "Eastern Europe", including in this case.
Kind regards,
Gert