I need a new camera.. - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 AM
TE Newbie

Default I need a new camera..

I need help for just a beginner I need to get a new camera. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
TE Senior Member

Default new camera

Hi,
two questions you need to ask yourself before going further : what is your price range? What kind of photos do you plan on taking?
Best,

Philippe
Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Following Philippe's comments, you would then need to decide if you want a very small ('compact') camera, or a large DSLR with an optical viewfinder, or one of the new 'in-between' cameras by Panasonic, Olympus, Sony or Samsung - they are like compacts but a bit bigger and with removable lenses. They usually have electronic (LCD) viewfinders in addition to the screens on the back, and cost as much as the cheaper DSLR cameras.

Before you make any decisions you should go to a camera shop and ask to have a look at these different types of cameras within your price range.

One of the things I like about removable lenses is that you can attach filters to them, which you can't do with compact cameras, at least not to my knowledge.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Camera

Hi,
There are so many camera's on the market. Often a DSLR is not the answer. They are bulky. I ditched a DSLR for a powerful compact and have been happy with the results and the ability to shoot street photo's.
This is complex, generally Nikon and Canon dominate DSLR's, but they are not always the best. I think a 4/3rds DSLR, a smaller camera with interchangable lens is a good option too. Camera's such as the Olympus EPL-1 are good and easy to use, give very good quality of image etc. Also the Panasonic Lumix GF-1 is similar.
In powerful compacts, the Leica X1 is the best, but expensive, perhaps the Panasonoc Lumix LX3 is a very good option, as is the Sigma DP1 and 2. Ricoh make good camera's in this range (GRD III etc) and even Samsung EX-1 is worth a look. These small camera's will mostly give as good images as an entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon, but with a compact size.
If budget is not an issue, then Leica M8 and M9 is the best by far, leaving Canon and Nikon in the dust, but that will cost thousands.
I say, the best camera you can have will be the one you have with you, and the one that you are comfortable shooting with, forget the brand, and enjoy.
Regards
Justin
Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM
TE Newbie

thanks for the help ill make sure to keep that mind