Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default Channai & around...

dear India lovers,

i might have a chance to visit Chennai, India in between 14-21 this month and it is very likely that apart from my work duties i'll have 2 or even 3 days to spare which makes me feel gespannt...i'd highly appreciate any hint of what's worth exploring nearby of the city...

thanks in advance
arturo
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Channai & around...

Hi Arturo,

I've been living for almost one year over there.
If you have a couple of days, have a look at Mammalapuram (mahabalipuram) and its seashore ttemple. At midday stop at one of the bitch restaurants nearby in which you will be having the best lobsters of your life.
Then go to Kanchipuram, one of the 7 holy cities in India. Quite nice.
In chennai, take a ride to the justice palace, the beach, the studios, and the city itself.
If you need some more, you have Gingee, Pulicat, etc...

Enjoy your time there. Hope you will not have to much rain as the monsoon should be soon starting...

Cheers

Guillaume
Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Chennai & around...

Hi Guillaume,

thank you very much for your advice...

well, i've already come back home;-)
i've spent all together 7 days in Chennai, 4 of them working with no time to do much afterwards...
but i could appreciate the kindness of people there & some excellent food, and actually went for sea food very often...you are right, it is delicious...
2 of the remaining days i spent in Chennai walking along the Marina beach and visiting the Kapaleeshwarar temple but also went on a little trip to Mahabalipuram...i realized that i have read about this place some time ago...there were some stories of more temples being submerged near the shore...i think it proved right recently unfortunatelly with the help of tsunami...

rain was not a big concern last week...still managed to get some decent sun rays...

btw. you live in a very nice location...

cheers
arturo