Photography in Public Places............ - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
TE Expert

Default Photography in Public Places............

Dear Friends,

Out of interest, did anyone else out there see yesterday's article in the Sunday Times Magazine on the subject of photography in public places? The article to which I refer is http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7050481.ece

It would appear that in Britain, there are ever-increasing restrictions on what you can do with a camera in public. Quite frightening!

I'd be interested to hear what others think of this article.

John.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

Thumbs up ??!...

Yes! Very interesting!!
Thanks for sharing!...
Have a good day! Best regards!! alain
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
TE Expert

Location: I live in Pessac, city surburb of Bordeaux - France
Exclamation Terrorism?

Thank you for the information, I am going to spend 2 weeks in Manchester at the end of March, so...
I was asked in M'chester airport, the previous year, by a civil policeman, what I was doing. Maybe CCTV detected me. I showed him the pictures I had taken, and he agreed I was not a terrorist, but asked me to stop taking pictures. Maybe, as a non britain person, he did not fully apply the "law"?
I think that also in France in the tube, railways station, airport, they don't like people taking pictures.....
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
TE Expert

Default big brother will be watching you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLODO View Post
I am going to spend 2 weeks in Manchester at the end of March...
Manchester et Liverpool....
Je me revois flânant le long des rues
Au milieu de cette foule
Parmi ces milliers d'inconnus

Bonsoir Claude,
I wish you good luck with taking photos!

How crazy some people (police & politicians) are??.....

So far I've had only one warning concerning my taking photos in Moscow.... or, rather, in Moscow region...
and when I took photos in Sweden - anywhere, with any camera - I did not get a single warning from the police or any security guards whatsoever.. I didn't even see any of them around! LOL
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
TE Expert

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLODO View Post
Maybe, as a non britain person, he did not fully apply the "law"?
I would say usually the contrary: as a foreigner expect to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and something else.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
TE Expert

Exclamation “I'm a Photographer, Not a Terrorist!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
yesterday's article in the Sunday Times Magazine on the subject of photography in public places (...) http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7050481.ece
Yes, it’s quite sad that they can’t find a balance between liberty and security.
The whole article is worth reading, but let me highlight this part:
In photography journals and blogs, professionals and keen amateurs also take aim at the Terrorism Act of 2000. Section 44 of the act gave police more power to stop and search people in specified areas. That might sound reasonable — until you learn that large tracts of London, every big rail station in the UK and many other sites have been quietly designated specified areas. To make matters more confusing, details of which areas have been designated are often not disclosed in case it might help terrorists. It’s 1984 meets Catch-22. Previously the police had at least to cite reasonable grounds for suspicion in order to stop and search you; now they don’t. If you’re wearing a loud shirt, walking on the pavement cracks, or carrying a camera, you’re fair game.
The law also allows officers to view images in your phone or camera. Officers are not allowed to delete them — but they can seize and retain any item that an officer “reasonably suspects is intended for use in connection with terrorism”.
Once I read an opinion (by Bill Bryson, if I recall well) that the UK would be the best country to experiment a Soviet-type regime. It didn’t succeed in Russia and Eastern Europe, but in the UK it would, if it was started. I’m afraid Bryson would prove right.
There were already here a thread about this issue: Some BBC news about photographers, started by Elena (fanni). Afterwards I posted three photos, with a bit of humour:
(you may click these thumbnails)
Not a terrorist photo #1, #2 and #3

Last edited by xuaxo; 03-08-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
TE Junior Member

I say just get out there with your camera and if challenged by the Law tell them to mind their own business!!

The world will become very dull if we are not allowed to take pictures in public places...

Just do it! It might be your final shoot - but just do it!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
TE Senior Member

Default surprised

I was surprised by this law. It is not normal to restrict human rights. Photoreport enter shadow with these restrictions, you will not be shown live in the century civilization. London want to review but ... I think I'll quit because I'm like a camp where I rights. Right to be free to do what I want without offending other people make. I lived 40 years under comunism oppression in Romania and know these things.

Last edited by nemesiss; 03-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
TE Newbie

I'm surprised as well. Interesting read.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default re:

thanks for sharing, i read it really so interesting.It’s really informative stuff. I really like to read.Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! my best regards guy.
north vancouver florist

Last edited by friendyomi; 03-27-2010 at 06:26 PM.