To rlrad: fill flash - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rlrad 2010-03-06 5:11

Hello Bulent,

Nicely done, I do like the flowers lit up in the corner, great use of the fill flash - especially nice that it didn't obliterate the main scene from reflection on the glass. The angle to the window was a great help, I know, but still, if you have that flash pointed in the wrong direction you end up with a re-take.

I like the composition, too, the park is beautiful in white, you can see the detail between the trees. Finally, the cityscape is well placed and kind of looks foreboding in the background along with those low clouds.

Neat shot, Bulent, I envy even a short stay and your opportunity for lunch in such a nice place!

Have a great weekend,
Reed

Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
TE Expert

Default To rlrad: fill flash

Hello Reed,

In the use of a fill flash, I would never point the flash perpendicular to the glass. Here it is at a grazing angle, and of course the flash does not effect distant objects. On one or two occasions I've seen passengers in airplanes point cameras out of airplane windows at night and "try to light up" the city below.

Have a good weekend,

Bulent
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
TE Junior Member

The only thing I think is worse than using flash while shooting through an airplane window is shooting flash at a sports event. Every time I see a night game on TV, there are all these winking lights in the stands - someone shooting a flash. Which of course is worse than useless. Didn't they study the inverse-square rule in school? (If I were designing the cirriculum, I'd teach it to the first grade.)

Actually, what is worse than either is using a flash in a theater, especially ballet, which can cause the performer to lose his or her balance and injure themselves. I remember attending a Kabuki play in New York and someone flashed a photo of the Spider Man (a living national treasure) as he made some complex maneuver. He was fine, but the ushers spent the whole intermission searching the audience for the culprit. (I think they found him, but never saw what happened.)

Dan