To sayeed_rahman: RAW problem? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great sayeed_rahman 2010-01-31 6:41

Come to india you wont have a "bilingual ornithologist" for guidance, that would be asking for too much.

This looks more abstract than swamp. I really find it hard to work with raw images but surely gives you room to express yourself should i say.

i had posted the shot where i claimed to have nailed the exposure of a fire shot at 1/8000,

take care Dan

sayeed

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To sayeed_rahman: RAW problem?

Hi, Sayeed -

Why do you find it hard to work with RAW? I prefer it because it is the original image as captured by the camera, so it contains all of the information that the camera collected. If I let the camera convert the shot to JPG, inevitably something is lost. For example, I can change the White Balance on a RAW image in Photoshop's Camera Raw, whereas if I had the wrong WB set on a JOG shot (which has happened), I can't correct it later.

It is true that RAW is less sharp than JPG, but that's because (as I understand it) the camera sharpens the image as it converts it. But that means that I'm stuck with whatever algorithm the camera is using for sharpening. By keeping it in RAW until I get the image into my computer, I now have a choice of sharpening techniques (and I have several different ones that I use), depending on how the image appears to me.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Dan