To feather: Noise sharpening - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great feather 2009-12-24 6:39

To attempt to answer your question: if your sharpening in the RAW converter also sharpened the sky maybe that caused the noise. I only ever do selective sharpening on a separate layer (ie never sky and limited on leaves, grasses etc) and only at the last stage of PP. Just a suggestion.
Good idea to isolate the spire and rooftop to make a graphic composition set against the plain blue sky. The strong diagonals work very well.
Belated Happy Channukah
Kath

Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To feather: Noise sharpening

Hi, Kath -

You have a point. The problem is, Camera RAW (at least my version) doesn't have selective sharpening; it's all or nothing. And I consider its sharpening function to be better (for RAW, at any rate) than Unsharp Mask or Smart Sharpen. Plus, RAW always needs some sharpening.

But since Dfine did correct the noise which the sharpening may have added, with (so far as I can tell) no loss of quality, I think I'll live with it. I will keep your comments in mind, of course, especially for CS3-level sharpening (though usually I do that sharpening at the end, while noise reduction is best done early on).

Happy Xmas,
Dan