To jwmunro: In a Purist Mood - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jwmunro 2009-12-09 14:31

Hello Dan -

I saw this image a ittle earlier in the day and I have given it some thought. I like what you are trying to do here by trying to focus on the bottles and the reflected/refracted light. But there are a few things I think that are holding the attempt back. The BG really is distracting, the white delivery truck and the silhouette of the Bay Bridge just DON'T work IMO. Also the highlight off of the bottle top is also distrupting the mood. All-in-all I like the attempt but it is not working. With that said, I am working on a WS that I will send to you via e-mail because of my upload problem with my desktop.

The one thing that got my attemtion is that you are as a photographer are showing things that I need to pay more attention to. I did something like this several years ago in Napa and I need to do more of it.

Thank you for sharing.

John

Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To jwmunro: In a Purist Mood

Hi, John -

I got you WS and I appreciate all the hard work you put into it. I don't understand why are still having trouble uploading here, but since you did send me a private copy, I feel it's better if I discuss that offline rather than here, since no one else (assuming anyone cares) can see what we're talking about.

For public notice I will say that I occasionally get into a purist mode, the result of a workshop last Feb. with Jay Maisel, who only wanted images as we had taken them, no post-processing of any kind. I don't do that consistently, but in this case I was curious to see what kind of reaction I would get to this one.

I did not see the bg at first as that distracting, given the great difference in structure between it and the fg, but I do see what you're talking about. I have to say, actually, that your Napa photo has the same problem - too much distraction. Is that what you meant by my showing you things you need to pay more attention to? I should make the same application to myself, as well.

I'll have more to say about your specific WS offline. Ultimately, I think the solution is go back to the Ferry Building and try this again, with more attention to the bg. (Though I recall squatting this way and that the last time, so this may not so easy. Of course, if it were that easy, I should have done it then.)

Best,
Dan
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To jwmunro: In a Purist Mood

Dan -

Maybe if this vendor is in the same spot the BG would work well OOF and w/o the truck. There is probably some of the old wharves back there and the YB Island and the bridge. Think about using a tele-zoom at the longer end and set it to wide open and work it that way to throw the BG really OOF. I would try my 70-200 f/2.8 as it focuses to about 18 inches or so. Just an idea.

John