why not english? - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: why not english?

Hi Brigitte,
No doubt "practice makes perfect.."... Yes you are right, some of the members neither speak nor write and thus can not understand foreign languages and as a result they use their native languages... The content of the notes and critics, the ones can not be translated by the tools, can be asked to the other members who speaks the same language with the writer...
This is what I generally do and did before... As always in TE, the people I asked for help responded very fast and very very politely and let me know about the content...
Old 10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
TE Newbie

studies on internet say that the majority of people on the web uses sites in their own language.
You probably get biased by your european perspective. "english-only" websites are used and seen by 1. people from english speaking countries 2. high-educated classes from the rest of the world.

Like other members said in that thread, i'm very glad that TE makes efforts to promote cultural diversity. Using english and other languages fits very well with the spirit of the site. Thank you Adam for this!

e
Old 10-21-2006, 04:38 PM

dzain said "I should even feel ashamed to write dutch to a fellow dutch person on an international site. But I think that's our dutch mentality: always adjust ourselfs to others ;)"

I think I'm right in saying that most Dutch people are taught English at school. I don't know whether it is compulsory in school, but the few I have known do speak English very well. That will make it much easier for them to write in understandable English as well.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, we have english at school (in the latest years it's even starting at the age of 6) and mostly german and french (but I skipped french because that language didn't agree with me :o)
But I think we also have it much easier speaking english because in Holland we don't translate tv-programms, so we hear a lot of english every day too. That must be an advantage.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
TE Newbie

I like the more cosmopolitan feel of TE and it's many languages. A lot of people post "Within their own language" sphere, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
TE Expert

Some peoples write in Arabic or Russian or greek
It's not disturbing me; everybody is free to choose his language.
Personnally I speak English like Tarzan but not with Charles Boyer accent:))