why not english? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2006, 01:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default why not english?

A lot of pictures are commented by the owner in their own language. Why doesn't everybody do the afford to stick with the international internet-language: english?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: why not english?

TE was designed with a multi-lingual interface because it tries to be open to as many people as possible. There is a translation tool integrated in the site that allows to translate the majority of language spoken here.

I'm glad that people can post and be active on TE even if they are not fluent in english and I thank Adam very much for having be open-minded enough to care about this.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM
TE Junior Member

I've tried that translation thing with something from french to dutch, but the translation really sucks.
Saw a really big text in Turkish or something, but that's even more difficult to figure out what it means, so it's only readable for those who are familiar with al that strange languages. And instead of making all those different nationalities communicate with eachother, they are forming borders between those nationalities who stick with their own languages.
My english isn't that great either, but I'm doing the afford. And... practise makes perfect! :)
Old 10-21-2006, 02:02 AM
TE Senior Member

How can you call a language as "strange"?? This is not fair and polite!! Even if you don't understand the language, you can critique on photo itself with the language you like...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:57 AM
TE Junior Member

in holland we use a exact translation of 'strange' to call all other languages then our own, but maybe it's better in english to use the word 'foreign'
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 AM
TE Senior Member

One of the good parts of TE is this as you see.:)) Thus I learnt that Dutch people say "strange" instead of "foreign" generally used in almost all languages...
Old 10-21-2006, 02:05 AM
TE Expert

Well it's very nice of you to make the effort of communicating in English and a lot of people are also doing the same thing. But what about those who don't speak, read, write or understand English at all? Should they be excluded from TE? I really appreciate the fact that this is a multi-lingual site and that it's opened to anyone in the world who wants to share photos, whatever language is used to communicate. And as you said "practice makes perfect"... so let's all practice using other languages than English! ;o)
Old 10-21-2006, 02:41 AM

If people feel comfortable writing their notes or critiques in English that is fine with me. If people prefer to write their notes or critiques in their native tongue that is equally OK with me. I would much prefer that people express their thoughts accurately in a language they are comfortable with than for them to simply say 'Good Shot' or 'Nice Colours' in English.
I understand some French, Spanish and Italian but would not be comfortable trying to express my thoughts in writing in any of those languages, so why should I expect any natives of those countries to express their feelings in English? I just think that is arrogant.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Didn't know that people of all countries, using internet, didn't understand english at all, because most sites are only available in english (except from sites of their own country or countries with same language)

I should even feel ashamed to write dutch to a fellow dutch person on an international site. But I think that's our dutch mentality: always adjust ourselfs to others ;)

But hey, it was only a question. When people want to keep writing in their own language, they should go on with it offcourse.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
TE Newbie

studies on internet say that the majority of people on the web uses sites in their own language.
You probably get biased by your european perspective. "english-only" websites are used and seen by 1. people from english speaking countries 2. high-educated classes from the rest of the world.

Like other members said in that thread, i'm very glad that TE makes efforts to promote cultural diversity. Using english and other languages fits very well with the spirit of the site. Thank you Adam for this!

e