To pamastro: You're talking to an old Ford hand... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Great pamastro 2004-06-18 2:29

Neat capture here. The stairs seem both level with you and obviously not level with you. At least to me. The lines are really great, throughout. Very graphic. From the shadows to the structure. What else is neat is that it looks like a reflection at the same time as it seems transparent. Good job.

I have some photos I will one day post of a building that security told me I could not photograph. Just a local Ford Motor office building that I like. Unfortunately I couldn't tell them what you said to the security person since Ford owns all the hundreds of acres in that part of the city.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:49 AM
TE Expert

Default To pamastro: You're talking to an old Ford hand...

I was once a management trainee with Ford Motor Company, working in the Controller's office at the Twin Cities Assembly Plant. I'm afraid it wasn't a very good match, especially when I decided to grow a beard. It was in the late sixties, of course, when a beard was seen as a sign of rebellion. The Controller sent me to production control to have my picture taken so he could send it to Dearborn, not for approval, but simply to prove he had someone working for him who had a beard. When I went on the floor in my job as cost analyst I got more than my share of razzing. I almost got into a fist fight at an annual dinner when a foreman told me that a beard wasn't proper for a Ford employee. Times have certainly changed, though I still have my beard, 36 years later. They were especially distressed when I posted quotes from Erich Fromm and Herbert Marcuse on the bulletin board. They quickly disappeared until one day I was called into the plant manager's office and told politely to desist. And so...I enrolled in graduate school in architecture at the University of Washington.

I too will be posting a photo of a Ford building, though it is the long abandoned assembly plant in Richmond, California designed by Louis Kahn in the early 1930's. Glad you enjoyed this little meditation on shadows and geometry Paul.