photo size - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-14-2005, 06:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default photo size

I have photos I would like to post on this site, but they are too large in their current format. These were film prints which were developed and a cd copy was made. I've never worked with digital media before. I have ACDSee and Photoshop6 on my computer, but have never used them. Could someone tell me how to reduce the size of photo files so that I can post them? I know that this is probably very elementary, but have no idea how to do it.

Thanks
Ananta
Old 03-14-2005, 06:33 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: photo size

In Photoshop, go to "Image" then "Image size".

But I suggest you explore and learn what you can do with photoshop. A good starting pont is Instant Photshop</A> from <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com" target="_blank">luminous-landscape.com. You'll learn that resizing a picture can affect the picture quality but there are way prevent or fix this. Check their other tutorials on Photoshop. There's also many other website about photoshop, just google for it.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:40 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks, Green; I'm checking the link and see that there is a lot of relevant information there. I'll be working towards posting more photos which I have previously taken while waiting to purchase my first digital camera.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:45 AM
TE Expert

Glad I could help.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:50 AM
TE Junior Member

you will have to reduce size in pixels and in Kb,
first, open the photo using photoshop,
you said you have never used it, so i will tell you a few basic steps you can follow and then how to resize:

1- Duplicate the photo, then any change you do will not affect the original.
How? go to >>FILE >> Duplicate
Name your new version, from now on you will be working on this new version.

2- Play a bit with your photo, click >>ENHANCE, and chose "Auto contrast"
if you dont like the result, click > Edit and chose "Undo Auto contrast",
the same with >>Enhance >> Auto levels
if you don't like the result, you go to >>EDIT >> Undo...

3- Take a look at your image, is the horizon tilted? Do you need to rotate your photo a few degrees to left or right to straighten it? Go to >>IMAGE >> ROTATE >> Custom... and input the amount you want to rotate and click either left or right. If you have rotated too much or too little go to >>Edit >> Undo... and do it again...

4- Do you need to crop your image?? Click the crop logo, select the area of your photo you want to keep and double click, you can always undo using the Edit menu...

FINALLY,
5- To resize pixels (TE rule is maximum 800px): Go to IMAGE >> RESIZE >> and see that the proportions are locked (you see a little chain) then, lets say it says your photo is 2200 x 1100 pixels, replace the larger number (in this case 2200) with 800, and the other number will be changed automatically keeping proportions.

6- To resize memory (TE rule is maximum 200 kb): Go to FILE >> SAVE AS >> Name, chose file TYPE: .JPG, click Copy, a new window will open where you will be able to chose the quality level (1-12), for each quality level you will see the memory size of the photo, i generally chose the maximum quality keeping in mind i can't go above 200kb, so my TE files generally have 175-190 kb, and are generally saved with quality level 8-10.

I have not gone into further or more complicated changes/improvements to keep it simple,
I hope that helped,

:) have fun!
elena
Old 03-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Another way...

Is getting the free program on IrfanView, it's especially handy when you want to convert a lot of pictures in once.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Another way...

Thank you elena and Porteplume; your tips are helpful.
Ananta