desperate - i think i lost ALL my photos! - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: desperate - i think i lost ALL my photos!

I can help you because I cant write english wery well, but I can try give you some hints.

If Im corectly understund you, your problem starts after some tehnician intervention on disk? Say to your technician, that your PC must be setuped to recognized HDD's letters from C do Z. If your system have command to remember last letter F, PC can't recognized H disk, or any disk with letters after F. (G,H,I,J,K....)

If you can remove your HDD and put it on some other PC, Im shure you can see all files on your 160 GB HDD. If you HDD have bad sectors, you can try restore fiels with some disk recovery software. Try to find some solutions on Google. (disk+recovery+program / disk+recovery+tools / data+recovery+software... etc.. )

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:45 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,
Don't panic, You need a good computer technician to recover Your pictures, will be good
regards, piotr
Old 04-01-2005, 03:49 AM

I have my fingers crossed for you!

When the guy arrives explain the situation to him, calmly (it's probably not his fault). Explain that the pictures are very important to you.

If you don't think he knows what he's doing, find someone you do. Data recovery is far easier if the disk doesn't have anything written to it after the problem occurs.

If you're lucky then it might be a simple matter of changing a few BIOS settings, or plugging the disk back in. I hope that's all it is :)

Something I think you'd find a good investment is a DVD writer, they've come down in price massively lately - with a dual layer DVD you can backup 8.4Gb data in one go!

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:22 PM
TE Expert

Good advice regarding the DVD R.

Now it is quite easy to reach 1 Gb in one photo opportunity. I have two memories now, one 256 MB and other 512Mb and I always use them all in one day...

But I will still stick to my CDrs for quite a long time...

K.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default Please, back to real problem.

Like always, when someone have a problem, people like preach about things that all we know.
I think that advice for backup pictures after loosing 160 GB, is not useful at all.
Like all you can see, Elena need advice to recive back her's lost pictures, not about back up in the future.
You are all so kind, but please try to help Elena without remembrance on her failure.
No offence to anyone.
Regards.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Please, back to real problem.

Are you sure you've read every messages in the thread? Because suggestion of solutions were given In short what was said was, if a drive is not seen anymore by the system, it doesn't mean that files are gone. You just need to check your system to see why it is not recognised. And if in the worst case scenario, the files are deleted then it was also suggested that might be recovered with a "File recovery" software. And as a plus some advice were given on how to avoid to lose all your file by backuping them.

No hard feeling, but when posting in a forum thread, the basic rule is to read every single messages posted in it before telling other participant of that thread are off-topic.

Again no hard feeling.
Cheers.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Please, back to real problem :)

I like your intervention here Gand!

But I think that some advice has been given and this mainly depends on the local ability of the technicians Elena has available. There is not a simple solution, maybe it is something as simple as going to a different PC and try to recognize the unit (HDD) there. Or it may involve a file recovery utility...

I do not see any wrong posting here, we felt what Elena is going through and we are just giving her our best wishes to recover rapidly her precious files.

K.
Pd.: Elena, please request your advice to at least two or three technicians and choose the one that you find more reliable. Please avoid the impulse to act inmediately and give your hard disk to the first tech. person you encountered.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Default thanks!!

THANK YOU everyone SOO much for your time,
i'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where i am sure i will be able to find a good technician and let's hope he will help recover those files, only problem it is difficult to find one who will actually come on the date/time he said... hahhaha :)
the guy who was going to come today didn't show up, i'll have to wait till next week...
i'll let you know!,
thanks again!
elena