desperate - i think i lost ALL my photos! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default desperate - i think i lost ALL my photos!

please tell me you had this problem before and it can be solved...

i got a 160 G HD a few months ago for my server and put ALL my photos there,
ALL the digital photos i have taken since i got my canon G3, that's 2 years of photos.

About a month ago, i had to restart my server and when it prompted for password,
it wouldn't recognize it, so i had to send the server to computer technicians.

I got the server back today, and they told me that when this happens with a server it is specially hard to get to the data, because the password is so encrypted, blah blah...
and they had to recover everything i had on my computer using a special software used by the police when they need to retrieve data from a computer, blah blah...

i just got home, started the computer,
and microsoft office is there, photoshop is there, all the word/excell documents are there, clipart, etc...

BUT NOT EVEN ONE PHOTO!!

They said the 160 G HD was "UNSTABLE".... what does it mean?? I don't even see it there now,
when i open "My computer" I only see the C,D,E and F drives,
the 160HD used to be "H"
so maybe that's why i can't see the photos...

It's the third time i send a computer with problems to computer technicians and they fail to recover files. they just reinstall windows, these people have no feelings for other people's files!!??

I am sooo sorry to come here, but if anyone can understand my agony it's you...
i am glad i got an apple notebook in January and since then i have been storing my photos here, at least macs don't crash!

i hope one of you had this problem in the past and tells me i will get access to my photos again...

i don't even want to think of the time/$ spent taking and working on photos, the trips organized around photography, etc

I am contacting the guy from whom i got the HD to see if he can help recover thse files and I'll let you know the sequel...
don't forget to backup your photos!
elena
Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: desperate - i think i lost ALL my photos!

Your last chance would be to get "file recovery" software (don't have any names in mind, try google). If the tech haven't done to much to the HD, you might be able to get some files back. It won't be an easy task and might take a very long time to get them back. I'll suggest you get some help.

And by the way, Mac does crash too. ;-)
Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Your photos are there I'm sure. If your program files are all there then it's just a matter of locating the H drive. The information is physically on the disk but your computer won't recognize it. Since it is all on one 160gb HD it is impossible for them to competely delete everything and reinstall it since they don't have photoshop CD and such. So stop worrying so much. I use to work as a tech support and I am pretty sure they just disabled the drive. Someone who knows the computer a bit better can help you retrieve your data. Worse comes to worse you'll have to locate an expert to physically remove the disk itself and extract the data that way. It'll take time but you'll get it back. Consider investing in getting your stuff burned on a DVD just in case this happens again.

Good luck!
mark
Old 03-31-2005, 02:26 AM
TE Junior Member

thank you both, i think the computer is not recognizing the H drive, i am sorry my first reaction was to express my panic here... a technician will come here on Friday and take a look,
thanks for your support!
elena
Old 03-31-2005, 02:31 AM
TE Expert

Oh all right, I didn't understand, my bad. If it's only the drive that isn't reconised, then it shouldn't be too much problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:25 AM
TE Junior Member

i'm the one who had no idea what was going on, and when i first posted i didn't know THAT was the problem... i think it's going to be solved on Friday...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 AM
TE Newbie

It would be a good idea to back up all your files and photos to CD's and do it often. You never know and Mac's do have problems also!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:27 AM
TE Newbie

elena, that happen to me also so i make several backups in CDR. Anyway, I am sure that you could still recover your photos saved on a different harddisk partition. try using a Partition Magic software to access the partitions, then use the same software to copy files in that "lost drive".
Old 03-31-2005, 04:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Elena

I hope your problem can be solved!

When I go shooting, I firstly download the file sto my PC. I take the time needed to "delete" the bad ones, and keep only the ones that are acceptable.

I clasified them into directories named with a number. And inmediately after I have nearly 700Mb of new files I make a copy on CDR, label the CDR with the proper file names and store it in a safe place.

Hard disks are prone to crash and surely they will hopefully after years of service, but they have the habit of not giving any alert when they decide to die.

So to avoid this problem again keep always one or two boxes of blank CDRs in hand, ready to be recorded.

I hope you find fast a solution and recover your precious files.

K.
Ps. What I mentioned it is not magical, neither full of wisdom... the hardest part is to be disciplined and respect the procedure to secure and perform backups as soon as required.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Elena

Thanks K, i will get that box of blank Cds and start training myself to get used to saving each load of originals as they come, the way you said. It is true it is not magic or rock science, but the simple advise is the best,
thanks for your time,
elena