To mkamionka: Thank you, Mariusz! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2019-05-16 1:30

Hi John,
charming house. I visit a lot of places like that using either English Heritage or Historic Houses Association.
Sometimes they are hard to present in an interesting way especially on a day like this with grey skies.
However, you have turned the grey clouds into your advantage: they preserve some features and feel a bit as if a candy floss so soft and smooth behind the rough walls of the house.
Lovely reportage from quite a remote place for me...
although having seen a lot of Teesside surroundings I am tempted to venture further someday.
Excellent quality work,
I see you have changed your camera to the mirrorless. I thought the previous one was full frame, was the change a step forward or is it just an addition and you use them interchangeably?
M

Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Thank you, Mariusz!

Thank you, Mariusz, for your kind words about this one!

Yes, this house is in the care of Historic Scotland (now called Historic Environment Scotland and it's also affiliated with English Heritage - so if you're a member of either then you should be able to access the other free of charge.) But be careful if you want to see around this place and take photos inside (I've also uploaded a couple of posts from inside here recently) because although you can wander around outside, the inside is only open on weekend afternoons - and only approximately once a month from April to September. So you'd ned to check online before you visited!

Regarding the camera, I still have my full frame DSLR. But I go walking every Wednesday with a little group of other geriatric guys and this particular photo was taken during one of those walks. We usually walk somewhere between 5 and 10 miles but I find the DSLR is pretty heavy and bulky to cart around on those country walks. So I bought myself a second-hand Canon EOS M5 - it's much smaller and lighter than a DSLR, it has a 24 Megapixel APS-C sensor and it seems to take very reasonable pictures. With an adapter, it can take all other Canon EF and EF-S lenses and the controls are very similar to any other Canon DSLR. I bought it from "Camera Jungle" (which is the online second-hand store of Jessops): it was advertised on their website as "excellent" condition and it certainly appears to be almost brand new - in fact, when I got it it only appeared to have taken a few hundred shots. So it's a camera I'd very much recommend if you're wanting something a bit lighter to carry than a DSLR but will still give you better images than a little compact camera.

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards,

John.