To jean113: Not just our school.....! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jean113 2019-11-02 1:45

Hello John, the cars are the giveaway, and the way you that the three ladies are dressed!
It is a delightful picture, taken in a good light and with excellent sharp quality.
So even in 1965, you were a budding photographer. The composition works well with the statue and the arch well placed.
Very interesting notes, as always. A school that organised a cruise for itsí students? What a great experience, and a fantastic introduction to this part of the world.
Good to see you posting once again.
Kind regards, Jean.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:13 AM
TE Expert

Default To jean113: Not just our school.....!

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your very kind remarks about this one! Unfortunately I have a few more which I shall try to post. And I'm sorry I've been absent for a few weeks - I really must catch up on critiquing so many photos of yours and others.

Yes, indeed, this was a wonderful opportunity to go on a cruise at the tender age of just seventeen! But is wasn't just my school - there were lots and lots of children (I suppose we thought ourselves young adults!) from other schools too. And my school certainly wasn't a private school - just a normal state school. I think it cost my parents somewhere in the order of £35 to £40 to send me on this two week cruise and, although we were accompanied by a group of our own school's teachers. the affair wasn't organised by our school but by the E.I.S. - the Educational Institute of Scotland, of which that venerable Labour M.P., Tam Dalyell, was an important member. And the ships which were involved in this scheme were old troop ships which had been refitted after WWII - and they certainly weren't luxurious - we slept in dormitories of 30 or so in hard bunk beds which were adequate but no more!

I've been trying to find more details but, if you're interested, this article might give some information!

Many thanks and Kindest Regards,

John.