language use in forum threads - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: language use in forum threads

If you are a moderator on a English based site you should maintain the language that would be understand by the majority ... not doing so when moderating is a form of abusive chauvinistic insult towards the majority as if there would be different measures to allow photos along their native language. What's there to hide ?

The choice of language in a note is a right as the note is copyrighted too.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
TE Expert

Carper and John Maenhout write their critics in English for my pictures
I write my critics to them in French, since more than six years.
There is no problems between us at all and no complications.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
TE Junior Member

I'd just like to repeat that my concern by no means applied to critiques, which are mostly short and easy to understand (with or without an online translator), but rather to the forum messages which can be long and difficult to translate even for a person who knows a bit of French.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
TE Senior Member

I totally agree with Alexander(Pasternak)
My french is extremely poor,I never learned it at school,but I learned 4 years latin,which helps a lot for roman languages.
Most of the french comments I recieve I understand without poor bablefish.Only sometimes I send a message to a friend who is a translator
english-german-french.
I tried to follow these interesting latest threads in french language, but I failled.
Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland,
Leo
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
TE Expert

Bonjour Andreas
I wrote you in English and sometimes in French because when I had a hard work journey I have some difficults to write in English I hope it's not disturbing you.
Best regards
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM
TE Expert

With Internet Explorer it's possible to translate the all page in your favorite language
I have a translator in the tool bar
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Learning French would solve the problem, if you find the French threads to be interesting. Why is it a sign of respect to use English, wher the majority of people on TE use other languages? I think it's time to learn more Turkish than 1-10, myself.

Speak English in a majority English speaking area, but TE isn't that place.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Why is it a sign of respect to use English, wher the majority of people on TE use other languages?

Because if the idea is to make forum threads accessible to as many TE members as possible, it is neccessary for them either to be in, or to be easily translatable into, the language that the majority of members can understand. And I still believe that if we have to select one language that the majority of TE members understand, then it will still be English, no matter that English is not the mother tongue of most members.

Otherwise, let's split TE into French TE, Italian TE, German TE, Turkish TE, Polish TE, etc...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: devious plot

I think it's all just a devious plot to kick of the Turks and the Poles, because they are the best photographers by and large. Come on, French is easy.

Does it really bother you that badly to see a conversation in a language you don't speak? I thought photography was a visual art. I comment on many photos usually written in Polish or Turkish, even if they don't respond because they can't, or just think I suck. :)

If we are to go to one language, I think we all should agree on something like Tagalog. Or whatever they speak in say, Canada. Sorry Canada, you know I love you.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
TE Expert

Because if the idea is to make forum threads accessible to as many TE members as possible

Right, 350 million people speak English in the world while only 70 million people speak French.
Newyork being the top center of cultural events thanks to their multicultural input finding each other through the English language ...

So, it is logic to use English on a general forum, certainly as moderator.
The attitude of a minority to impose a language to a majority raises questions about the credibility of their remote motivations risking isolation from the world. Breaking conservative self-protective language habit by learning more languages is a key to meet other cultures. Bridges to other cultures are mostly built through English.
Closed Thread