To holmertz: Thank you, Gert! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-06-25 11:15

Hello Serghei,

As this is Birmingham and it's taken inside a modern building, I expect that you were inside and Mike was outside looking for some interesting architectural features!

I love the composition here and how the lines of the bookshelves lead the eye to the bright distant window while the man, standing cross-legged browsing the books, is perfectly silhouetted against the bright light. And the distant man, seated at a desk, is a fine addition and perfectly placed in the frame too.

Lovely light and colours, perfect exposure and excellent depth of field and sharpness.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Thank you, Gert!

Hello Gert,

Thank you again for your kind words about this photograph. There was certainly no way I could have avoided having people in this photograph and this one, with the rather bored and fed up couple in the foreground, seemed a little more interesting than the others I took here.

Yes, we are slowly recovering from the shock of "Brexit" but it still seems like I've just woken up after an almost unbelievable nightmare. Of course, this result was most likely not a direct show of dissatisfaction by the population of the E.U. itself but most likely simply a sign of contempt which so many of the population has for "the establishment" whatever or whoever that might actually be. But the consequences and ramifications of Brexit I find very worrying, not least the very likely break up of the United Kingdom with so many of the population of Scotland supporting the dreadful Scottish Nationalists. Yes, I am proud to live in Scotland, though it is a less happy and more divided country now with the nationalists in power, but I am more proud to be British.

Can you imagine - Putin, Trump, Boris Johnston, Nicola Sturgeon? The World is going mad.

But it is also interesting that our Brexit might possibly spark other nations of the E.U. to travel the same road - and I believe that there are many in Sweden who are dissatisfied with the European Union too - perhaps more than 50%, I believe, in a recent poll.

But what happens on 8th November?

Anyway, nothing for me to do now other than that totally British thing - make a cup of tea, sit down and wait for things to get better. But I might just have a very long wait.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 PM
TE Expert

Hello John,
The 8th November is the day when Donald Trump may be chosen to put his finger on the button for the nuclear missiles.
Next year we may also see Marine Le Pen as President of France.
A mad, mad, mad, mad world, isn't it?

Gert
PS There is certainly a dissatisfaction with the EU in Sweden too, but I can't imagine that more than 20-25 % would seriously want us to leave the union. It's mainly the rightwing, xenophobic populists who hate it so much.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Default But who voted to leave....?

Hello Gert,

Thank you for your reply. I did actually read somewhere today - perhaps it was the "New Statesman" or the "Spectator", I'm not sure - but I thought a very recent poll (in the last 24 to 48 hours) put the level of dissatisfied people in Sweden at over 50%.

Anyway, it would appear that it was not the rightwing, xenophobic populists here who voted to leave: in the majority it was the working classes. Yes, they might have been xenophobic and that was probably because those politicians goading people to vote for an exit suggested to them that it was foreigners coming to Britain that were stealing their jobs and lowering their wages. And most of them were traditional Labour voters: but the Labour party with its weak leadership in Jeremy Corbyn has lost its following and the trust of the workers. And in Scotland (which voted to "remain"), Labour voters have moved en masse to support the nationalists.

As someone has said, "This was a working-class revolt, but it is not a working-class victory."

Perhaps I shall just stay in bed on 8th November.

Kind Regards,

John.