Too much information is little information... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
TE Newbie

Default Too much information is little information...

TE is about knowing the world, which is a perfect mission. But for some places there are already so many pictures that some selection or ranking should be absolutely necessary. Take for example Venice. There are today 111 pages of pictures. Nobody has time to go through them all. So here TE is missing its point, not allowing visitors to see first the best stuff and to burry crap. OK, the rating system is not perfect. But at least it's here. Why not using it or improving it. I'dcertainly want to learn about the world looking good stuff only and ignoring crap. This way also for us, who are contributing, the game would become more interesting. I must admit I'm disapponting when pictures, being posted in the past, are never again commented or rated. What's your opinion?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Too much information is little information...

What's your opinion?

Create a theme of your favorite Venice pix. Just work at it every once in a while, then let people know about it in the theme section, maybe travel too.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 PM

There is one very basic flaw in your suggested system where, if I interpret your comments correctly, the first images we would see would be those with the highest rating i.e. most points. That would mean that new images would never be on first page and would be even less likely to receive comment / critique than is currently the case.
Few points doesn't equate with being crap any more than some of the images which have received many points are necessarily the best on the site.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 AM
TE Junior Member

.....and...how would you define "crap". One viewer will see something good in an image that another person will not see. I've seen pics on this site that I personally consider to be horrendous, yet they have amassed hundreds of points. Others I see which I consider to be outstanding and they have attracted very little attention. It's all a matter of opinion. Anyway, surely the "crap" has a place here as this is a learning site and the better photographers among us can point us in the right direction and give us advice on how we can improve. It always seems to me that we are naturally drawn to the "better" images and the "less quality pics" get ignored, which I guess is going against the basic principles of the site.

Right or wrong, just my 2p worth.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Best regards, Vicky
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

Points have nothing to do with the quality of a photo anymore, it indicates more and more your activity on TE ... if you want to select, you need to select for yourself cause what's good for you is not always good for someone else.
H
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM
TE Newbie

I totally agree with the responses here. Points are definitely more an indication of your social network for many members here. Further, your suggestion has an implicite urging toward competition. As far as I understand things here, that is not the point at all. Certainly some people post some lousy pictures, but our "duty" if you will, is to help those folks to become better, not to tell them there images are "crap" by removing them. Finally, check out some of the images posted by members with over 10,000 points. I have seen some pretty lame images from these people getting 100 or more points simply because they have been here for 20o years and know everybody. Sorry, I have to totally disagree with your suggestion. Cheers, Paul.