Point buddies? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
TE Newbie

Default Point buddies?

Some people may find this out of line, but Iīll ask the question anyway (maybe itīs been asked already). Bottom line is, when I give a critique, I try to put in what I like about a photograph, why I like it, as well as what I think could be improved (if any). Thatīs what I believe TrekEarth (as well as TrekLens. I havenīt posted on TrekNature, so I donīt know about that site) is all about. Sharing photos, improving photography skills, as well as knowledge about the world.
What I see (and I wonīt mention names) is that some people on this site have (in my opinion, Iīll say that) way too many points on some of their photographs. Now others whoīve seen some of these photographs as well agree with me. Essentially weīre asking ourselves; What is it that I cantīs see in this photo, because it has hundreds of points, but thereīs nothing special there. Looking closer at this, I find that itīs the same people critiquing all the photographs. Well, if itīs their honest opinion, thatīs great, Iīll shut my mouth and leave this subject alone, but if not, isnīt that to compromise what the site is all about? Looking at the photos of AdamBurton, lonelywolf or Igor Laptev, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM what so ever understanding the points, because they are brilliant photographers. But then Iīll find otherīs where the same people keep punching in points, making it look more like a point buddy system (handing off a big smile whatever the picture looks like), than honest critiquing. If this is whatīs going on, please think of it this way: I want to learn more about photography. I want to understand why someone has given a photo a big smile, small smile, no smile etc. I want as honest an opinion of my own photos as I try to give others. If that means a low or no rating for some photos, well that means I need to consider that feedback to improve.

Ok, Iīm done with my little rant now, but I do think this is something to think about. Handing out buddy points isnīt just to cheat yourself and the photographer, but everyone else on the site as well looking at those same photos.

Lars-Christian
Old 01-31-2007, 11:14 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Point buddies?

What do you know. This annoyed me so much that I didnīt even see the thread a couple of rows down lol. Glad Iīm not alone :)
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 PM
TE Expert

This is the kind of thread that seems to happen more than any other on TE and I usually don't participate ........BUT hey!!

I think this is a big community with tons of different motivations, levels of engagement, relationships, understandings of different types of photography, including the development of particular photographers in producing a 'body' of work.....and not to mention tastes.......people really talking time to stop and look and think and understand what they are seeing......sometimes it's because people have got together face to face and so support each others work out of that meeting - because there is a dialogue around those images...we might not see it publically....I guess there is trading and adoration....the fashions - reflective practices of any community anywhere....some people play for points - some people don't understand what the attraction of the game is.....smileys say I like something.......sad faces say I don't like this so much, no rating says - I don't want to rate this.....a pale green smiley says - hey this is OK but nothing so special or maybe there is something which stops this hitting my top drawer......favourites - well they are the height of your taste at that moment for whatever reason......and the critiquing bit is for you to think of why you might or not like something.......

.......does it get more complicated than that?

bw Kev
Old 02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
TE Senior Member

Can I reply to this by asking Adam a big favor? Please Adam, can you create a new forum devoted to "points whining and points winning"? Please, don't get me wrong, but I am completely fed up with these discussions. Always the same thing... Always the same arguments... Always the same complaints... It's very tiring to open the General forum and keep reading these things. I know I can ignore them (a thing I tend to do....) but there's a time when you just can't do it.

As Kev rightly said, we are all different. This site allows to upload photos so people upload different photos. This site allows critiquing so people write different types of critiques. This site allow critiquing all the members on the site so people choose which them to critique.

If someone decides to post pictures from the same city for more than 5 years, it can be done. If a member likes to critique always the same group of friends, that can be done. If the best photographer on site don't like to do any critiquing at all, it can be done. And if I choose to ignore him for that, it can also be done. This is a huge community, people like to live it in different ways... Some share more, some share less. There is plenty of choice (probably too many) so just suit yourself and do whatever you can do to take the most profit out of it. If points really don't matter switch them off; if points do matter, search in the forums for a receipt on how to get the most out of it (Luko recently posted a nice one). Nobody will judge anyone for either choice (at least I would like to think that way...) and in the end go out and do some real photography. And share it with the people you love here. That's what we are here for.

So please Adam, do consider my suggestion and stop these threads. There's really no "point" to them...
Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
TE Expert

That's great Luis I give you 5 points for your nice conclusion. :))
Cheers.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:26 AM
TE Expert

this must be really annoying for you....
Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Why do you care?

points mean one thing to some people (get all I can in 6 months)

other things to other people (I like getting points but prefer really good critiques)
and completely nothing to other people.

so again why do you care if people use points in a way that you don't approve of...it doesn't lessen the value of your critiques received.

Enjoy the site for what you enjoy it for. There is a site of collegiality and camradrie and learning here...just need to find it and spread your wings.
My points total is pretty pitiful if you average it out per shot (even if you don't), but I don't feel short changed at all. I've learned more here than any photography book or expensive course.

Have fun
Cheers
Mark
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 AM
TE Expert

dont you know? Some people just cant stop thinkin about what others are doing...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM
TE Newbie

I guess difference of opinion is the key here.
First of all, I didnīt mean to offend anyone out here.
Second, the point I was trying to make is that in many cases I feel that the critiques are pointless (not point as in smiley). Like one of you said,
Iīd rather have a good critique than the points (or something in that fashion). I know itīs all in the eye of the beholder, but if we end up giving insignificant critiques for no other reason than to cash in later, or give great reviews out of fear of hurting someone, I think (and itīs my opinion) that it compromises the idea of the site. Having friends here, getting along, even meeting up as a result of this site is great. The quality of the critiques donīt have to suffer because of that. I used the point system as an illustration.

How about we call it a day with that, and do what we can to make this site the best it can be ;)
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 AM
TE Junior Member

You didn't offend me.

Just pointing out it would be impossible (and undesirable) to police the way people choose to use the points system. It serves diferent purposes and you will drive yourself crazy trying to stop the so-called injustice of it all.

cheers
Mark