How the Pros do it - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: How the Pros do it

Herve, on the whole I agree with you; but I think there comes a point where you have to cull some of them.

I've started shooting HDR panoramas, and since I'm already shooting RAW if I find something interesting I can shoot 2Gb+ a day (each pano can weigh in at 180Mb+ just in RAW files alone). It's almost lucky that I don't find much to interest me; I'm running out of hard disks ;)

KeithT: Agree on the extra 0; I'm still mercifully restrained, but watching my brother shoot is rather alarming, I just pray that he never gets hold of something like a 1D3 ;)
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 AM
TE Expert

Herve, my friend, let me ask you a question. I see that you have uploaded twice this year, one of them a photo from 2005. What are you doing with all those photos that you never erase, man? Could I encourage you to post more? I know I delete too much (on air too;o))) but I shoot all the time, regular as clockwork, every weekend certainly and I post religiously - each posting is like sticking one's neck out, putting one's money where one's mouth is, exposing oneself to ridicule. Don't you think?
So enough theorizing, let's see more shots from you!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:39 AM
TE Expert

Alvin, I too have been fascinated by the Nat Geo process for years now, my old idol being William Allard, then later Alex Webb and David Alan Harvey. What absolutely bewilders me is that out of thousands of shots, the art editors end up picking shots which quite often are not that special at all. You just KNOW that there were much better ones in the pile. Allard used to almost come to blows arguing with his editor about which picture should be kept.
One more observation: when I go to some exotic place like Laos or whatever, I only get 8, 9 days max as I am a Japanese salariman and that's all we get. The minute you land you have to shoot, and shoot some more in order to make the most of the short time you have. 6-8 weeks would be GREAT... I'm jealous, really.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 AM
TE Expert

Saw the film, a bit long, repetitive,
my impression,
if you really got in your subject, it radiates, no matter how much you are shooting, it will focus your subject, you got the feeling that you are there seeing the photos ...

this in contradiction to poly-shooters who give priority to techniques putting subject as an element in the compo, wich radiates also, more to the photographer then the actually subject wich gives rather an empty impersonal feeling, no note can fill that up.

I would say, like it is shown very well in the film, love your subject first of all, this love will fill up your unique creativ imagination and techniques become almost evident spontanuous fitting and inventive to enhance this love and that will radiate timeless !
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 AM
TE Expert

Francis, I have about 1400 shots (way too many) on Pbase, a link which has been in my intro (with that of FlickR, but only 3 times more than here, there)), for 2 years. But it is true that I do not post too much, considering all the places i go to. Some stuff is great out of the oven (SF events, Songkran day in thailand), some can wait. It's not like I am the genie out of the box in that craft. I go my own little way, feeling my way thru it all.

I delete a lot, but what I meant is that basically if i start hesitating to delete, I keep. And I believe in collage and mixed media, my first "talent" was composing music. And i think I can write too ;-).
Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
TE Newbie

Default Sartore...

Joe Sartore seems to be a very "dedicated" photographer...i came across his work when reading an article about Madidi Park, Bolivia...

he is mentioned to smear only insect repellent on his wetsuit when photographing piranhas...
(well, piranhas are hardly insects, aren't they...the myth says that they are fierce, blood thirsty and always hungry)...
Piranha

or spending hours laying in his own urine to photograph some butterflies...i mean i don't mind butterflies, but;-)...
anyway, he's used a lot of film rolls and time but the nature of his work simply requires it i suppose...look at the below snap, please, it is almost like watching something monumental...

Polar bear

i wonder how long did he have to wait for such an opportunity...and how many times had he snapped polar bears before he got his result?

cheers, arturo
Old 10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
TE Expert

i still love W.Allard's work, it is good to know that some one likes him too in TE! ;o)
Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
TE Expert

I read a sentence by Sartore; "Sartore thinks thatís funny because he hates to travel, but he has to go because as he says, ďthatís where the shots are. If the shots were in my backyard then thatís where I would be.Ē
Poor guy since he doesn't love to travel and is not able to find shots in his backyard! So he shots only for money?

This sentence make me remember a great Italian photographer, just an artist working with the same ancient tools Atget used - his name is Guido Guidi, he also teaches in Venice University. One day I went to visit him in his home and I looked at some of his photos, full of poetry :a simple window and string tied there with two or three clothes pegs; the same window in many shots, only changing light or rain or snow... I raised my eyes and I saw just that window! I felt strongly moved. He smiled.

.... I think that I love photographs where I find a deep feeling, and feeling is inside the heart and in the way one looks at the world. Poetry my be also in a simple shot, out of a simple heart.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 PM
TE Senior Member

Poor guy since he doesn't love to travel and is not able to find shots in his backyard! So he shots only for money?

You are making a pretty large jump here. I believe it is entirely possible, even probable, to say that he loves to shoot anywhere, he just doesn't enjoy being away from his home and family. Not liking to travel is not the same as not liking to take photos. One could look at it in this way; even though he doesn't like to travel, he puts up with it because it means that by doing so he is able to take photos.

I agree that poetry can be found in a simple shot, but I have to say that if I saw too many similar shots taken from the same vantage point, I would personally become bored. Also, the truth is that really simple, even though beautifully lit and composed, photos don't really stick in my mind over the long term. Different folks, different strokes.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
TE Expert

this insight into Guidi that Livia was privileged to see was probably not all he did as a photographer. It would seem the 2 photographers are doing exactly the same thing. Caputring poetry, pure moments, that no one else saw (either from triviality of looking at a window and never "see", or too fleeting and distant).

Very different photography, yet maybe very alike in "searching" and simplicity of emotion.