Photo editing programs?? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Photo editing programs??

A question for y'all on editing programs. Is there any one in particular that you feel does ALL the editing you want done? I have at least 8 that I can find right off hand on my PC. I use probably four or five on a regular basis, each doing something different I prefer. Picasa is the simplest and does a great job of leveling and auto color correction. I use Photofiltre most of any for resizing, cropping, several things - it too is simple to use. I use Photoshop for color cast correction, color correction for skin tone, shadows and highlights. Helicon filter because it has a great haze reducer. NeatImage for noise. Nero Photosnap for curves. And a couple of others I use on occasion for something else they do I like. I know they take up a lot of space on my PC, but I really don't mind shifting from program to program to get the results I want. Does anyone else USE different programs or do you do all PP on one??
Shelly
Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Photo editing programs??

Hello Shelly,
IMO there are 2 you can use that would do almost everything you need Photoshop or Paintshop and NeatImage to get rid of noise.
Photomatix is good for HDR although you can also create them with Photoshop but it's harder.
If you want my honest opinion you should try to focus on one like Photoshop and explore it to maximum as it has so many features that you wouldn't almost need any other. Also there are several free plug-ins that you can download from internet that expand it even more.Hope this can be useful for you.
Cheers.
Paulo
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Shelly,

I just use PhotoShop for everything. I have used NeatImage a couple of times in the past, but the results for me have been hit and miss. The key thing to note when using multiple programs is that you need to save your image in lossless format when moving between them. If you use JPEG your image will gradually become more and more degraded as you edit/save it. After starting in RAW format I'll save to the PhotoShop (PSD) format and not resave until I need to post here for example.

Ron.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
TE Newbie

I use PhotoShop (CS2) - it's the best I've seen.
To be honest, most of the time I don't bother to hassle with RAW files. For my 15x21cm prints and 200kb files here in TE I haven't noticed a considerable difference whether I use RAW or JPEG.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Shelly,
I see you have a Nikon D70s. I'm a Nikon fan (big time!) and downloaded the "free" full version of Nikon Capture NX on the 30-day trial. It think it is absolutely brilliant and does everything I want it to do - and much easier than my Photoshop 7.0 (which I seldom use now - other than for the Fuji RAW images from my S3 Pro).

Have a look on the Nikon website and see if it's still available. If it is, you can't lose out as it's genuinely "free" but I expect you'll do the same as me and buy it straight after the trial period ends!!

Best wishes.

Paul.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks to both of you for replying. Yes, I have noticed if I don't save each version as I do them, they get less appealing. I really would like to utilize Photoshop to the extent it will do, but I find it verrrry confusing and other programs do a job more easily and more to my liking on different areas. And layers?? I have had NO luck trying to figure those things out. They never seem to make the difference I am looking for when I try them.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
TE Senior Member

I have the Program that came with my D70s (which, by the way, I just looked at for the first time..LOL) Maybe I have MORE than 8 photo programs. It's looks pretty nice, actually. Has a GREAT leveling feature. The Helicon filter is the only one I have seen with that haze remover and I LOVE that. (Though, that too, may be somewhere on a program I just haven't learned fully). I'll look into the Nikon one. Thanks a bunch.
Shelly
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM
TE Senior Member

My best advice when it comes to PhotoShop is to learn layers. All of the power of the program lies in that feature IMO; otherwise you are typically just as well off using Photoshop Elements or another of the simpler programs. Layers are easy and once you know what you are doing with them you will never go back. I would recommend picking up a good photoshop book and learning a bit. Certainly it will speed up your work flow by doing everything in PHotoshop rather than spreading it out over a number of programs. Typically all I need done is done in photoshop, unless I am using RawShooter Premium for RAW conversion, which I do when I have a bunch of conversions to do. Otherwise it is just Adobe Capture RAW and PS for me.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
TE Newbie

I use photoshop cs2, neatimage, photomatix and adobe lightroom(beta) these programs gives me all the tools I need. I often use several of these programs for one image but in most cases you manage with just photoshop and neatimage :)
Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,
Are you using Photoshop as a full version or one of the Elements version. I hear Elements 4 is very comprehensive. I use Photoshop 4 for much of the time as it has everything I need but parts of it are not that accessible. I also use Serif progs a lot. They are fairly inexpensive and work well. Look at the Serif website for current prices. Tip ! Get on their mailing list and you may well be offered the next-to-latest at much reduced prices eg Photoplus 10 which does everything I need for a tenner. You do need to spend time getting familiar with layers and to explore any prog a lot to find how you can use it to best advantage and to uncover all the nuances any partic. prog. has.
There is no 'best' program, just a lot of folks who say 'I prefer xyz because I know what it will do' You have to find your own favourite.
To answer you Q directly, I use either Elements 2 or Serif PhotoPlus whwich both do all I need. Choice depends on mood or what is already running.