To Luko: 10 points to a good critique! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2007-01-30 9:01

Ok Lennarts, let's see this one...on a superficial level I'd say the colors are good and your exposure too, it's also a humorous nod, that was for the good things.

The not-so-exceptionnal-features chapter is thick though... ;)
There's mainly a composition problem which ruins the effects I'd reckon. probably that was due to the fact you didn't stand up on the boat nor you had anticipated the scene to eventually tell the boatman to manoeuvre in a good position (assuming you were on a small boat).

The result is that the main character (the dog) is first a bit too small in the frame and it's also messy, overlapping the horizon. I don't remember having a single good shot of a boat passing on the side... and Lord knows how many boats, dinghies or barques, I've shot in my photographer life. I have been so disappointed with boat sides in my Mekong trips.

A more effective angle would have been shooting the dog from the front of the boat, hence he would have been looking like a real captain in the photo.

Another thing is that you left too little space in front of the dog compared to a larger room behind the boat.. the ideal visual code would need to inverse that ratio otherwise it looks like the boat is ready to bump right into the frame.

That might be one of your first pics I comment though I've been reading your critics. I must say I really appreciate the way you just say it as it comes, with no sugarcoating and on top of that some witty remarks.
I wanted to reply back to one of your comments on my Schmalong Bay photo, unfortunately some network crash wiped out the fairly long reply. I didn't have the courage to type it back but the debate you raised was interesting although to summarize, I think you fell into the ditch of represntation being reality.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Luko: 10 points to a good critique!

Thanks Luko!
It is a pleasure and honor to receive such a good critique. I'm really an amateur and some things are difficult to figure out on your own.
I agree with your critique about my photo being messy due to the boat overlapping the horizon, now that i think of it, it is messy indeed. Would you suggest that the horizon be higer, at roughly upper 1/3 of the photo and the boat was lower/closer? So that the horizon would be above the head of the woman?
The note about angle is probably right too.

Your last comment about my photo is what makes me wonder. Because the original image was actually larger, there was empty space both in front and behind the boat. And the way you see it is actually due to my cropping in PhotoShop. For me this way it seemed as if the boat was going faster than in inversed ratio. I'll try a workshop.... for a new look.
Thanks again for one of the best critiques if I've ever received in TE!

damn, I have to run now.... There was some more things I wanted to say regarding my comments on your Halong Bay photo. I'll continue later. Take care!