Question on critque styles - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Question on critque styles

I have read posts on here that would make me believe there are those who might think I "sugarcoat" my critques. But. I look through the galleries and if a thumbnail looks good enough to me to open - odds are I'll LIKE the photo. I am an exuberant kind of person. What I like, I LIKE. What I don't like, I don't look at. Or, if it looks good until I open it and I think I can help it, I will. But I have fixed my own pictures til they sucked. Different people have different ways of expressing themselves. My glowing critques for those photos I like are really me. I don't really know if I had a question - just a .. thought, maybe.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Question on critque styles

I do find some of the content within your critiques a bit gushing and sugary, but that doesn't change the fact that there is also valid and thoughtful content to the critiques as well.
If I had one criticism, and it's a general one rather than specific to yourself, it is what I feel to be an overuse of the very smiley (2 Point) option. I prefer only to use that option for what I think are exceptionally impressive offerings although I must admit to using it more now than I used to.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Shelly,

These days, I find that the only real area where its worth adding a critique is the 'Welcome Gallery'. Adding critique #101 to an image is nice, but doesn't really benefit anyone in my view. On the other hand, giving a helping hand to a member who may have less expertise than you helps everyone.

Ron.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi, Ron. I think that's a good idea. I like checking out the welcome gallery and saying hello to newcomers. If someone has been here awhile their photos SHOULD be getting better. And like you say, critique #101? Who would even have TIME to read that many critiques and most of them saying essentially the same thing? Some photos, though? Really ARE just awesome.
Shelly
Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Question on critique styles

Hello guys & gals -

Try going to the uncritiqued gallery and writing a few it's a real challenge sometimes. One of the things I found in the uncritiqued gallery is that to write a good critique you really need to dig deep into your photo knowledge. You also need to express what you like and don't like. If you do enough of them you will also see a difference in your work. But, be prepared the posters rarely respond with a comment or a critique.

John
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
TE Expert

John (JWMUNRO) has nailed it on the head. I've tried to do the right thing and go through the uncritiqued gallery. But when the people you are critiquing for could really care less with normally- NO reply, and not even so much as marking your note as useful... those people really do ruin it for those who ARE trying to improve and contribute to the site.

All the best,
- Dan

P.S.- I take responsibility for starting off the 'sugar-coating' comment, but I was not referring to anyone specific. ;-)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Regardless of the tactless uncaring individuals in the uncritiqued gallery I still go over occasionally and look for a few good images that could use some attention. To me the time I spend is put to good use - it's for me and helps me improve both with my images and my critiquing.

John
Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
TE Senior Member

Hey, you know what? Until this thread I KNEW!! I tended to go overboard with my enthusiasm, but it's good to be reminded to reign oneself in. I find I don't become so redundant with the supelatives..LOL Thanks, y'all... :)) Shelly
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 AM

"But when the people you are critiquing for could really care less with normally- NO reply, and not even so much as marking your note as useful... "

Adam has in the past specifically asked people NOT to reply to critiques received with the standard 'Thanks for the comments' or similar as all it really achieves is to saturate the forums with 'useless' posts.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

Hello everybody,
I very much agree with what Ron and Johan have said. It is a good practice to critique photos in Welcome gallery and in Uncritiqued gallery. Ron is to my mind also very right about the critique #101 - while it adds points to a photo in question it probably isn't as useful as writing a good critique to a photo that has not received any comments.
I myself critique extremely rarely photos with already more than 10-20 critiques.

I also have one more practice for writing critiques - I go to my own profile and click on the icon that displays what level Critiquer/Workshop Editor/Note Writer I am. Then the popup window opens with statistics and in the end there's a link "Random Orphan Photo". I click on that one often and make a promise to critique whatever photo shows up. That of course means you would not be commenting only photos you like and not only handing out fat green smileys. But I sincerely believe it is very important also to critique the photos we don't like and explain to the author why and what we don't like.