Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-08-19 3:30

Ciao carissima Lisa,

Woo, Hoo! This is a stunner!!

This could be nowhere else but Scotland - and probably nowhere else than Skye. The mist (or low cloud) swirling around the cliff tops, the rich greens, a legacy of the high rainfalls and the stark landscape formed by years of bettering by wind, rain and storms - it's all just so typical.

But it's the soft light here which has brought out the lovely subtle tones and contrasts and the rich colours and you have captured them all beautifully in this fine composition where these surreal peaks and the cliff faces are perfectly placed in the frame while the thin ribbon of road underlines the image perfectly.

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Kind Regards e un abbraccio,

Giovanni.

P.S. I'm still trying to organise a trip for us to go to Skye soon - would it be possible for you to let me know the location from where you took this - or even details of that 7 Km "loop" walk?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: The Quiraing

Caro Giovanni

Oh lucky you! I'm with you in spirit and wish you happy travels. I used Portree as a base. It's best that you drive up to the little car park and do the loop from there. This is the Isle of Skye tourism site: https://www.isleofskye.com/attractions which I found quite helpful and has maps. And this: https://www.isleofskye.com/skye-guid...s/the-quiraing.

The highlights were the Old Man of Storr, The Quiraing, Dunottar Castle, Kilt Rock and the Fairy Glens. They're all very well marked. There's a lovely French/seafood restaurant right down in the port at Portree which is worth a visit too ��

Un abbraccio
Lisa

Last edited by delpeoples; 08-20-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM
TE Expert

Default Skye......

Ciao cara Lisa,

Thank you for your reply - that's most helpful. The walk sounds not too far - 7 Km is manageable by me though I suspect some bits are perhaps just a bit too steep. But I could probably manage part of the walk - perhaps just the part you did.

Thanks for our notes about other interesting places on Skye too - though I suspect you mean Dunvegan Castle rather than Dunnottar - you've been looking at too many of Craig's pictures!

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.

xx
Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 PM
TE Expert

Smile Castles on Skye

Caro Giovanni

Yes you're right, I did not mean Dunnotar Castle, I meant Duntulm Castle. Although Dunvegan on the water is also lovely. Here is another site that may help: http://www.whiteheatherhotel.co.uk/skye_castles.html.

Also, there are a number of souterrains on the island. Over 20 I believe. I visited one not far from the Skye Bridge which was in the middle of a paddock inhabited by black devil goats. I'm not sure of its name though.

In abbraccio
Lisa
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 AM

Hello Lisa and Hello John!

I don't want to make "publicity" for my own photos but I read that John was looking for more information about walking the Quiraing - A really magical place indeed Lisa! - and I have set a link in my infos under this photo:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1421259.htm

Friendly greetings,
Viviane
Old 11-13-2016, 09:56 AM
TE Expert

Default Quiraing.....

Dear Viviane,

Thank you so much for your message to Lisa and myself! I have looked at your lovely photograph from three years ago (and written a critique too!) and you have given us some very useful information in your note about it.

Unfortunately Yvonne and myself were only in Skye for three days in September and we didn't actually get to the Quiraing, but it is somewhere I'd definitely want to visit in the future.

I hope that you and Chris are well.

Kindest Regards,

John.