Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-07-25 2:12

Carissima Lisa,

Yes, a happy accident indeed! This image would have been good enough without the red torchlight (and I'm sure that you took quite a few other photographs without the "offending" fellow astronerd "spoiling" them) but the deep red light picking out the details in this sandy shore and the water's edge certainly adds some very bold and striking foreground interest while the Milky Way, spectacularly seen high above, looks down on you.

A stunning image, very well seen and taken and with a very happy accident too!

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. Thanks for the exif data too. That 14mm Samyang lens must be a cracker, being able to resolve such incredible sharpness wide open at f/2.8. And not a hint of any noise with that 5D Mk III at ISO 4000!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:03 AM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: Samyang Lens

Caro Giovanni

Thank you for your very kind words on the photo.

The Samyang lens is the go-to lens if you want to shoot the stars. And it only costs AUD300, about STG150. It's a fantastic buy. The other lenses they make are excellent too, I'm looking at some at the moment.

The lenses are under the Samyang brand here but might be known in Europe as Rokkinon.

Yes the 5D goes okay with high ISOs but the Sony A7 is the gun camera for this type of photography. The sensor is incredible. I had a try of my friend's Sony. Wow the info and light you can pull out of a RAW file is without peer

Well that's the limit of my techy talk. I'm starting to sound like my astronerd friends.

Un abbraccio
Lisa
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 AM
TE Expert

Default How to piss off your astrnerd friends.........!

Ciao cara Lisa,

Thanks for all that interesting techy stuff. I love it. Just imagine how a Sony can be better than a Canon at this game and that a really cheap superwide lens can be the canine ovoid things for astrophotography! Just a pity Samyang didn't do long lenses for wildlife - actually I think they do make 500mm and 600mm reflector lenses but I don't think they're in the same league as their wide angle primes.

Anyway, if your astrophotography nerdy friends are getting a bit too big for their boots, ask them about the Schwartzschild Effect - otherwise known as "Reciprocity failure". I remember reading about this years ago when I tried to take long exposures at night with film. Essentially, if you take a shot at, say, 1/100 sec at f/8 that is the same exposure as 1/50 sec at f/11 or 1/200 sec at f/5.6 because the same amount of light is allowed through to the film or sensor. But, when you get into the realms of very long exposures in very low light, films require more light for extremely long exposures - so an exposure of, say, 5 minutes at f/5.6 might need a lot more than the expected 10 minutes at f/8.

Actually, the Schwartzschild Effect only really affects film as digital sensors have a much more linear sensitivity to light - but you might just be able to piss off your friends with this nerdy talk - just try dropping it in as a quick aside while having a beer with them around the camp fire.

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.