Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great delpeoples 2016-05-06 13:21

Caro Giovanni

A very different sight to when I saw the giant a few days prior. It certainly is impressive, as is your photo. There's always such an eerie atmosphere to this place, as history confirms, and your photo brings all the mystique, romance and tragedy that the Highlands are so famous for. Or maybe that's the third dram of whiskey talking. Thank you so much for making the huge hike to Ardnamurchan, it really was a fun day. I hope to see you again in Glasgae on tha morra - as my nan would say. Unfortunately I can't upload pics until I return home in June, so I look forward to your shots of the place.

Un abbraccio
Lisa

Old 05-06-2016, 09:26 PM
TE Expert

Default To delpeoples: Whisky, not Whiskey....!

Ciao carissima Lisa,

Thank you for your kind words! As we said yesterday, it's quite difficult actually to find a place to stop when driving here - the other maniacs on the road are driving at break-neck speed with their eyes glued to the road and certainly not taking heed either of the beautiful scenery or of any brainless photographer staggering around the place with a camera. So this was taken in a bit of a hurry. And, of course, I had an urgent assignation too!

A couple of wee corrections, though. You don't require the word "to" - it's just plain and simple "tha morra". So, deo volente, I'll see you again tha morra, Hen. ("Hen", incidentally, being a term of endearment, particularly to a woman.)

And Scotch whisky is spelled without an "e". The stuff they brew in Ireland and North America is "whiskey" with an "e". But, if you want to impress the locals, you could call Scotch whisky "usquabae" (from the Gaelic "uisge beatha", meaning "water of life" or aqua vitae). As Robert Burns wrote in his famous poem, Tam o' Shanter:

Inspiring bold John Barleycorn!
What dangers thou canst make us scorn!
Wi' tippeny, we fear nae evil;
Wi' usquabae, we'll face the devil!

Just confirming that whisky can give you "Dutch courage".

See ye tha morra, Hen.

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 AM
TE Expert

Smile Whiskey!

Ciao Giovanni

Hehe Thank you for the wee blather and the lesson in Scots. Autocorrect added "to". Thought I'd type D "on the morra"

But whiskey....you might recall giving me a stern lecture on the difference between whisky and whiskey many hundred critiques ago 😜 So it was deliberate ha!

Hopefully i'll see you in Glasgae domani. 😆

Un abbraccio
Lisa