Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Default I HATE HDR

I hate HDR!

Not in principle, but much of what I see in practice.

I think the technique was developed to enhance problem images like UE and OE, no one really meant HDR to be an artistic expression in itself. At least I like to think so.

HDR is so easy to overdo. Like saturation and sharpening, many love green green grass no matter the grass looks like that nowhere in real life. And a HDR cloudy sky is highly dramatic even on an ordinary dayÖ

HDR often makes an otherwise lovely landscape looking like something from down under! And Iím not talking about Australia.

What really worries me is that HDR seems to be a must to win a photo contest nowadays.

So what do you guys think?

Many of the HDR images we see in TE lately are not according to the ToS but they donít seem to count for much anymoreÖ
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: I HATE HDR

Hello Pablo,

Please forgive me to pick up your comment and for answering in another direction.

What does it matter what WE like after all? I hate HDR too, but is that important? There are people that love HDR and that's what it is to it.

Art does not exist. There is not one concept for art. There are about 6.000.000.000. I don't understand why it's so difficult to accept that. Art is only a mental state. Discussing art, what one likes and dislikes (and I do it a lot, poor me) is like discussing air. It's pointless (I'm not saying that your thread is pointless).

But yes, I do hate HDR like the plague!

Have a great day

Nuno
Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
TE Junior Member

You raised an interesting issue, Pablo.

Saying that I "hate" HDR would be exaggerated, but I agree that HDR often takes away much of the "soul" of the land- or cityscapes shown by the photo.

In my opinion, the amount of HDR should remain "functional". Either to correct under- or overexposure as you suggest, or to enhance a certain mood conveyed by the photo. So, if HDR is used to add some more drama to an already dramatic sky, why not? When viewing and commenting HDR photos (generally on TrekLens, where they are allowed anyway), I always ask myself whether the result looks "coherent". Is it HDR for the sake of HDR, or HDR for the sake of photography? Of course, much depends on the eye of the beholder, but the same goes for any form of "art".

To anwer your final question: I'd prefer photos being awarded because of WHAT they convey (their "soul"), rather than because of the technique used by the photographer. Form should follow function, and not the opposite.

Finally, don't you think the text or font coulour on the new TrekEarth website could use some EXTRA HEAVY HDR? Incredible: pale letters on a pale background! Fortunately, we are only photographers, so it ain't too much of a disaster if we destroy our eyes by trying to read the critiques and the forum topics on TrekEarth ;o).

Kind regards,
Erik
Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM
TE Expert

Hi Pablo,

There is a saying that too much of anything is bad. Uncontrolled HDR process is not a beauty to behold.

Andre'
Old 07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
TE Junior Member

So that big honking HDR on page one currently isn't doing it for you?

I looked at the work of a local artist, which consisted of taking snapshots and then making them "art" by giving every work a tungsten cast, and a few other lame manipulations. I think the response to that work is pretty tepid.

What kind of contest allows HDRs? They are so obvious, even a child could spot one. Unless of course the point of the contest is the best HDR.....

I don't like them either.

Farah
Old 07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
TE Expert

From 2004 I was busy with HDR but left it soon as I had to adjust it to original to keep it natural.

It learned me to anticipate by manuel bracketing controling high/dark lights by different exposure settings for RAW-conversions which resulted in a more accurate natural feel, manuel managed i.s.o. made by a program.

But I must admit that some HDR I saw later on are incredible sensational innatural :). Could be useful depending on the subject, not really for landscapes, indeed.

The idea HDR is not bad but the application should be worked out to be usefull even in cameras to anticipate high/dark lights up to the eye capacity, maybe the camera of the future ?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Pablo, saying you hate HDR, you could just as easily say you hate curves. You can abuse curves and create something obnoxious, or you can use them properly to create a decent rendition of your photograph. HDR is just another tool in the box which when used properly (given a difficult lighting situation) can provide something decent.

When not used properly you can abuse the technique and create something akin to a painting on velvet; and there are people out there that do enjoy that kind of art form too.

From a use point of view I have found that the control is not as easy as simple masking. In my own work now I am trending more toward multiple masks on multiple shots with different exposures. It sounds more difficult, but once you have the technique down it sure is easier to get to the final product that you hope for.

Regards, John

Regards, John
Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
TE Senior Member

In the past photos were removed from TE because of "exaggerated PP" (or something like that). Is HDR part of exagerrated PP ? To my humble opinion : yes. At least according to the tos of TE.
On the other hand, the fans of HDR can do their thing on TL, why not make an account there ? As a member of TL I can live with HDR photos on that site. I must say that I have seen some beautiful pieces of art (with HDR), but I agree (mostly) you cannot see the "real stuff", the things we see with our eyes... I also must "confess" I "managed" some (very few of them) of my photos on TL, just as an experiment, because it is allowed there. In general : I prefer natural looks.
Maybe a suggestion : when you post a HDR photo --> write it in your notes.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Forgot to mention : some HDR photo-uploaders are praised to heaven for their work... OK : you can praise them for their technical work on a photo, but does that implicate that they are good photographers too ? Sometimes, they are masters in both : taking shots and PP. But I stick to the idea that a good photo does not need (to much) PP...
Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Nuno,

You raise an interesting point about art however your answer seem out of context in regards to the point stated by Pablo.