Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Default What does it mean for you?

Hello Everybody!
Questions:
What does the motto "Learning about the World through Photography" means for you?
What kind(s) of pictures do you think fits/fit perfectly to that motto? And which doesn't/don't? What's more important: learning about the World or learning about Photography?
All for now!
My warmest regards to all my TE fellow partners,
Neyvan
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: What does it mean for you?

Hello Neyvan,
what a question! I think it depends on what is most important for you. For me it is all kind of places. I really want to know everything about the conditions of the places on this planet, be it the climate or the geography. But from the discussions here I learnt that it is for many members the human beings and how they are acting, living and behaving.
Best regards
Harriet
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM

A very difficult question to answer. I think the notes are at least as important as the image. I'm aware of the saying "A picture speaks a thousand words", but I really do not think that applies here. There are very few images posted here that aren't helped by some form of additional information. Just because an image is of a well known location, to the photographer at least, doesn't mean that all visitors are familiar with it.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Seriously think about "Learning about the World through Photography", I found it is not easy. Too many photos to show landmark buildings around the world with typical notes, may be not easy for us to find out fresh topics. Many photos here are "Learning about the shooting skill".

Before I travel to a new destination, I take a look how TE's photos showing that place, but sometimes feel somethings missing.

Then I go to flickr, webshot, photobucket...etc. Large quantity photos there enough to show entire features of a selected location even the neighbours locations at the borders.

Then I go to some blogs to read their travel dairy to review the tour, accomodations, transportations.....etc.

Conclusion, TE is only one of the website to complete my searching and studing.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM
TE Senior Member

Hello ,
TE is what the members make of it . Most of them ( me too !) , like architecture ( castles , churches ... ) , landscapes , nature . So , we can't learn everything about the world , here . But only some aspects of it . May be , it would be interesting if there was more daily life pictures . Something a little more journalistic .
In any cases , the subject and the note are the great features of TE . It is not at all a contest , even we can improve , to present our views as good as possible .
Regards
Denis
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi folks!
So far I'm quite pleased by the answers! I'd like to point out that those questions will surely help me on my focus on next pictures in my future traveling! Might keep on taking my usual ones, but might as well try to get different themes too! Hopefully that'll also help you guys!
Thank you all!
Neyvan
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
TE Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to Juntas

Olá Neyvan. I am sticking to the first part of the motto: "Learning about..." Abraço.
Paulo
Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
TE Junior Member

I learned that people leave and come back, throw a fit, leave, and come back.
Sometimes the drama is fun, more so than the usual building or cow.
I have a few favourites. Through some of those (most) I learn a ton about the world they live in. That's the key. They make it personal and real, not copying some notes from whatever source, or taking pictures they think they may be praised for.

Farah
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
TE Junior Member

For me "Learning about the World through Photography" means learning about the world through the eyes of other people. It is all about seeing something that someone somewhere felt was important. Important in the sense that the feeling about the world and the place and the people that that photographer happened to see and shoot was such that they felt it necessary to share with the rest of all of us. For better or for worse. To educate or ponder over. To inspire. To create emotion. To provide a feeling based on the shot and the note, that transports one to that place, and hands you the camera and eye of the photographer in question. For me TE is about being there, and feeling the experience first hand. Casper
Old 06-19-2009, 03:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Farah,
I think all of them still complaint here are sincere and still interest to stay here, feel sad that some members just leave quietly, and never come back maybe.