Default Re: How to check if your photos have been stolen

excellent!

it works..
thanks..
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
TE Newbie

Hi!

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but my images are almost systematically duplicated to at least one other site (Nikonians.org), and when I try TinEye, I never get a "hit", although I have suggested a certain number of web pages to them, including Nikonians. And I mean real duplicates, with exactly the same image uploaded there, not another size or version! Actually, the only time TinEye (notice how it can be abbreviated to TE too?), it was clearly not the same image, although it was a picture of the same place.

So either it is sooooooo intelligent that it knows it's me too, or it's not complete at all.

In conclusion, if you're really worried about undue use of your images, don't post. If you decide to post, be ready, someone can use them!

Amitiés,
Olivier
Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 PM
TE Expert

Salut Olivier,

you are right: TinEye is far from being efficient. I've tested myself and found out the same thing as you. I suppose they have to improve it and include in the search a lot of other websites, as they state in their page. Anyway I thought - at the beginning - that it could be useful as well... What other mean we have?

And your conclusions seem to be the only reasonable one: we can't avoid our pictures being stolen once they are posted on the web, so we must put up with that.
Yet I think anyone of us would be curious to know if such occurence took place...
and maybe laugh about it!

Amicalement,
Donato
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

TinEye itself doesn't claim to be perfect, or anywhere near, but it is at least a start point. I have only found one of my images being used on other sites. As they are Eastern European sites there isn't much I can do about it as I can't even read the text.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
TE Expert

Don't forget, it's indeed YOUR choice to post at 800px 300Kb easily to blow up to reasonable A4 quality on a site called FREE IMAGE BANK, without any explicit copyright notice by every photo, targetting top rankings by a deal with Google, you risk indeed that a young blogger amuses himself to gather these easy ducks from where YOUR photo will lead a total new unprotected life, so your conclusion is right, posting here you must accept theft, the administration use your remark 'it can be copied anyway' as an excuse to do nothing about it while there were more then one suggestion to have more protection ...

take a look once on other sites how they give at least some help to protect more by f.i. putting a logo over it when not logged in (Magnum) or an overlay with a blank GIF or the possibility to authorize some to see full size (even bigger then 800px) while others see it at at only 500px and ....

YOUR CHOICE, no need to even mention theft as you accept the consequences by your posts here to learn, so learn ...

greetings
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM
TE Expert

Hi,
I also have many photos here that are duplicated in at least another public site and they never appear in TinEye. It may be just a coincidence, but I find it intriguing how it is capable of finding duplicates in some apparently not so popular forums and sites and it doesn't find anything of mine in photo sites. Maybe they avoid indexing photo sites for performance reasons; after all it is an experimental service. However, I find their algorithm amazingly effective in most situations. I think that the fact that he "finds" images that aren't the same, but were taken in the same place proves that, as it is preferable to have some false positives than many false negatives.
Regards,
José
Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 AM
TE Newbie

It seems that I have inadvertently stirred too big a pot for my hunger ;)

I am not in agreeance with the management here either, don't be misunderstood! But I am savvy enough in internet tech to know that even the best protection can't be very effective:

- a logo on a photo will either ruin the image or can be easily removed through some work in Photoshop for example.

- a blank gif will give you no protection against a simple PrintScreen command. The image will then be a nice .jpg in Photoshop again, ready to be blown to a bigger size...

So it's a risk I know I have to take if I want to be seens on the web, that's all.

Cheers,
Olivier
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
TE Expert

BUT

doing something like a logo over it when not logged in, like they do already in the image viewer ...
and
the option of a blank GIF when you don't allow WS

will stop that insidious problem of that young blogger, not aware of copyrights, pushing 'save as' again and again
that avoids at least that big companies get your photo from that young blogger without any copyright reference
belief me
that happens more frequently then you can imagine, even BBC not aware of this boogy-trap

way too obvious that some don't care at all as it is not their photo that you allow them to use
so accept this at 800px or not
cheers
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
TE Expert

I did not check all my photos yet but I found one of my early postings in two other sites. More “amusing” is in one site my photo was published as it has been taken by the person who posted it there.

Now, here is a question for the experts. Most of my photos have a frame and my name on it. If someone downloads the photo, removes the frame and the name and posts it again on the net, is TinEye still able to match the search?

Cheers
Antonio