Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Images of public domain and could be downloaded by anyone ??

In: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090806/jsp/nation/story_11326262.jsp

...//...

HC relief for AIDS ad face
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

Chennai, Aug. 5: Madras High Court today ordered the Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society to remove pictures of a woman and her child from its posters within a week after the 25-year-old complained that they were used without her permission.

Justice K. Suguna was hearing a petition filed by the woman accusing the society of using the images without her knowledge and consent in an AIDS campaign, causing social harm to her and her 4-year-old daughter. She also claimed damages of Rs 1 crore.

The counsel for the society told the court that the pictures had been sourced by an advertising agency that designed the campaign.

Since the ad agency had taken the pictures from a photography website (trekearth.com), they were already in the public domain and could be downloaded by anyone without obtaining formal consent. The images had not been used in an illegal way, the counsel argued.

The angry judge asked if a photograph that could cause social harm to a person could be used without the personís knowledge and consent.

The judge fixed the hearing on the claim for damages after two weeks.

...//...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Images of public domain

I do not knoe the laws of India,

Here in Canada, to publish a photo of someone you need their permission to do it. Copyright laws protect the person who took the picture, you need their consent to iuse it. This law is not always followed propperly by the people who are using the pictures of others.

Pierre
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: All images can be downloaded from TE

Oh well, pictures are stolen all the time from Trekearth and the management doesn't care at all.
TE is indicated on several sites as a free image bank. No wonder that advertisment agencies use it as a source for their not-always-fair pupose even when the original post indicates a total other story.

In India they can even go to prison for copyright violations along their laws but oh well, the whole system is rather corrupted, buying even justice off if they got the right relations.

No wonder that that the Swiss banks have amounts on Indian accounts that even trespasses the sum of all accounts from other countries together : $1500 billion mainly from Indian politicians, bureaucrats and some businessmen.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
TE Expert

Henk;

Do you ever have anything positive to say about TrekEarth? Regardless of all the other complaints you have about the site, what do you suggest that TrekEarth management do to stop people from stealing images on TrekEarth?

Show me a photo on ANY website that CANNOT be stolen...

Cheers,
- Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

There is NO such thing as a photo that cannot be stolen from the internet. If you can't right click the photo to save it- you simply have to print screen.

Very simply put, if you don't want your photos at risk then either;
1.) Put a large watermark across the middle (something which may potentially still be removed by photoshop pros)
2.) Don't put your images on the internet.

Best of luck,
- Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
TE Expert

Hi Dan
there were several suggestions in the past already how to deal with this in a more proper way,
I'm sorry to say but not adjusting anything is the cause of the so many complaints we had already about stolen photos from TE ... in fact the administration is dammaging their members exposing them as such on the net ... I'm talking about the member-victims created by the attitude of the administration, I can't help that many don't care, you don't care ?
cheers
Henk
Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
TE Expert

a print-saver is very well aware of possible copyright violations

a right-clicker 'save as' are most young bloggers not aware of any copyright violations but they cause that many pictures start to have a new life as free to download.

maybe there is a slight difference there ....

when not logged in, many sites put a logo over it, a logo that you even see in the image-viewer, so what are they waiting for ?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
TE Expert

With all due respect Henk, I really don't have the time nor patience to argue as I need to work early tomorrow morning...

All I'm saying is a simple word of warning to anyone posting images on TrekEarth, Flickr, Facebook, Photobucket or whatever photo site- if you're posting a photo on the internet- it CAN be stolen. If you think otherwise- you're only kidding yourself.

Have a good night all,
- Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 PM
TE Expert

Everybody knows that you can find all on the net
but
if a site aims for a google top ranking, it includes responsability towards their members,
like I said,
I can't help it that nobody cares
I only see how poor people are deprived by big companies since I use any reward as support.
Pity, ain't it Dan ?