To luisafonso: Something missing - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great luisafonso 2009-01-26 7:48

Hi Alvin! I like the colors and the way you played with that zigzagging fence in the composition. The reflective light is also great and my favorite section is the far background in the mist. That hilly forest looks amazing under that pastel mist. But strangely, the photo as a whole does not convince me very much. Sorry for being straight, but I feel something is missing here. Just don't ask me what... :) Probably the rock formation over-dominates the picture. And that formation is not that beautiful per se. On the other hand, the delicacy of the top layer doesn't go very well with the roughness of the rest. I don't know, it leaves me with mixed emotions, if you understand what I mean. But it's great to see some beach shots in your gallery. Keep them coming, please.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To luisafonso: Something missing

Thanks very much for your critique Luis, I really appreciate it coming from someone as talented as you. I think that you are right, it's an interesting scene, especially some parts of it, but it somehow doesn't hold together that well. The foreground is quite crowded and messy looking, while the background is simple and beautiful. It's sometimes difficult to think objectively about photos that you've taken, because you were there, and looking at the photo brings a memory of the actual scene, giving you different and more positive thoughts about the photo than a stranger would have. I also think that (as with most landscapes) when you see the image larger, it is more dramatic and impressive, while small versions of the same photo will often be underwhelming.
Thanks again for your honest opinion, which I think is quite fair and accurate, but it helps me alot to organize my thoughts about the shot.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To luisafonso: Something missing

It's sometimes difficult to think objectively about photos that you've taken, because you were there, and looking at the photo brings a memory of the actual scene, giving you different and more positive thoughts about the photo than a stranger would have.

Alvin, I agree 100% with these words of yours. I think of it all the time. That's why I find so difficult to judge my own photos. Like you said, you were there, you know the dimensions of the place, the smells, the light, the mood, everything. The emotions it evokes are totally different than the ones the viewer will have. That's why I like to post them here on TE and collect precious thoughts from you and the other members I admire.

Thanks for appreciating my honesty. I hope you pay me with the same coin. ;)
Stay safe, l.