To pboehringer: Tulips - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pboehringer 2008-09-12 13:47

Alvin,
you're absolutely right regarding the usual stereotypic image of tulip fields. It is dead flat. To have a mountain with snow in the background is a real surprise and a quite nice one. I love the wide angle approach with the tulips in the foreground giving me the impression as if they are reaching out of my screen. The mountain is a little bit lost in haze and that is actually my only critique with this shot. Execution, composition are top notch, but to late in the day. What about being there 1-2 hours earlier for the same shot?
Peter

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To pboehringer: Tulips

Great observation Peter, but I WAS there an hour earlier! Those mountains in the background block the sun until about an hour after the normal sunrise. This shot was taken only a few minutes after the sun finally reached the tulips. Shots taken before the sun got over the mountain really lacked the impact of this shot. Actually, I think that next year I will go at sunset, which may work out much better.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Tulips

Alvin,

don't take my critique to seriously. The mountain is certainly somewhat in the haze and it would be a blast to get rid of it. Not knowing the geography of the place it is completely impossible for me to say that being earlier there would have made the difference.
It is possible that being there at sunset time would solve this problem or maybe not. There are certain places that are simply impossible to get the scene and light source in the right angle.
Just as an example: Spirit Island is a place where it borders to be impossible to get the rigth angle of composition and light source ....

Peter
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Don't worry Peter - I'm definitely not bothered by your critique. This is one of those examples where you comminicate in writing and can't show your intonation or smile, and results in some misunderstanding of the message. I was just laughing about the fact that you were thinking exactly the same thing that I was thinking at the time I took the photo - namely that it would have been so much better if the sun was coming from a different direction or hitting the scene earlier. It's still a worthwhile shot, but it could have been so much better with more definition on that mountain.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree 100% with you, it is a worthwhile shot and I'm glad that you took my critique as it was meant to be. My critiques are always do not always seem to be very friendly, but trust me they are always extremely honest. No awesome, wonderful, great ... or any other adjectives if it isn't real. :-)
Take care and have a good week!
Peter