To pboehringer: Back to TE - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pboehringer 2008-09-02 18:36

Alvin,
what a nice surprise to see you back to active duty after such a long period of abscence. What a come back. Not only the shot itself but also the upgraded gear. D700? Good start and I'm quite envious. I'm just waiting for that special financial entry to get there too. I guess the glass 17-35mm is also a new one for you, right? I purchased the same glass about 6 months ago with the plan to get later the full frame. D700 fits that quite well.
Quite interesting to see Moraine Lake as a second entry today. The first came from Norbert and it's quite curious to see that I aslo got some shots from the same place to the left of the rock pile. It is a rather non classic POV for this place. I hope to find soon some time to get back active myself at TE and present my version.
Wonderful morning atmosphere with stong contrast and light just at some critical spots to enhance the view at a maximal effect.
Peter

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To pboehringer: Back to TE

Hi Peter - It's good to hear from you, and it's partly because of you that I'm back on TE. Your encouragement (along with some other people) was the push that I needed to come back, so I thank you for that. I'm anxious to see your photos from the Rockies as I know that you have been there recently, and I'm sure that you will have some amazing photos. The 17-35mm lens is actually one that I've had for about 5 years. I got it before I ever went digital. I used it a bit on film, with great results, then shortly after I got my first DSLR (a D70) and because the lens wasn't so wide anymore it tended to sit on the shelf. It was far to good to ever sell (my motto is never sell quality gear, you'll always miss it later). When the D700 came out I was ready with the "old" lens, which performs extremely well on full frame digital.
With you in the Rockies, plus Norbert, plus I think Henk also (Floydian) there is going to be a lot of competition and comparison for Rocky Mountain photos, but that's great. I hope that my photos from there have helped to inspire people to visit this beautiful place and preserve it's beauty in photos. Who knows, maybe we could even organize a combined TE exhibition of all our shots from there!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Back to TE

Hehehe ... I'm glad to read that I'm a partially responsible of having you back at TE!

I'm anxious to get back to TE too. Not only the Rockies but also Grand Tetons and Yellostone shots are on the waiting list. I didn't even have time to have a look into all of these shots to see which really got the chance for posting.

I met Henk at Lake Moraine, Jasper at Spirit Island. The weather really wasn't very helpful. The boat tour was a big dissapointment and I would love to get back to this place, but backpacking in and staying until I get something meaningful. Any chance to get your interest for such project? By than I should have a digital full frame Nikon camera myself!

Your photos are highly inspirative! No doubt about that and as I told you earlier I went almost through your entire collection to come up with a plan.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: Back to TE

Sorry to hear that the boat trip was a disappointment. Some of those places (like Spirit Island) are difficult to get to, and it's very disappointing to have bad weather when you finally get there. I've noticed that Jasper has much worse weather than Banff, probably because it's farther north and even in the summer the storms coming from the Pacific tend to head over that area, while missing the southern Rockies. Farther south (like Waterton/Glacier NP) the weather might actually be too good - boring skies with no clouds at all, and so hot and dry that there are a lot of forest fires.

If you have an idea to come back and do some backpacking in the Rockies then I'm definitely interested! I would really like to do that, but my wife is not into carrying all that camping equipment, and it's too difficult to go alone. There are some really outstanding places that require a backpack camping trip to get to - for example Mount Assiniboine, The Rockwall, and the Tonquin Valley. Is it too early to start planning for next year? Can't wait to see your pictures.

Alvin