Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-07-08 7:27

Hi Andrew,

This is the perfect response to Malgo's recent "dual image" from Vienna. And it reminds me of something that the BBC here were trying to promote a few years ago - something called "re-photography", the idea being that you could look at archive photographs taken around Britain as long ago as around 1880 and try to take a photograph now from exactly the same viewpoint and in the same direction and so be able to compare how the landscape and buildings had changed.

But this is a much more personal form of re-photography and so nice that you and your wife were actually able to track down exactly the same spot from where your maternal grandfather took his original picture.

I agree with you - your grandfather's picture is better than yours! But that, of course, is because it is so much more full of life and colour, largely due to the two men carrying brightly coloured balloons but also because there are more people about. Your photograph reminds me a bit of old postcards of towns in which the photo had been taken with a pinhole camera with enormously long exposure so that the streets appeared devoid of all life - a typical postcard like that was once sold with the title "Aberdeen on a Charity Day" - the general belief in those days being that Aberdonians were mean people - which, of course, they are not: at least, no meaner than anybody else.

A most interesting pair of photographs and a perfect upload for TE!

Wonderful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. You must have lots of old photographs in your possession as it would appear that both of your grandfathers were keen photographers. If I remember correctly, it was your paternal grandfather who took all of those wonderful photographs in Greenland near the end of World War II.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Greenland

Hello John - good memory! But no, it was in fact the same maternal grandfather; you may have mistaken it because it was my father who had scanned in the negatives and slides and placed them on Flickr, but that was more due to interest than blood relation. They were very close, and my father has the photography bug (as you know) while my mother does not.

And you will certainly be interested in this, which I posted on a comment on Malgo's image as well - a site where WWII/D-Day era photos from Britain and France have been 're-photographed' as you put it, almost perfectly:

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/....html?ww2-dday

Click on each image to see the modern day version.

Best,
Andrew
Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM
TE Expert

Default Re-photography.......

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your reply and thank you also for sending me that link to those "re-photography" pictures - they are quite remarkable.

As I said, I've tried to do that re-photography lark and it is actually remarkably difficult. You really have to have the "old" picture with you, printed out so that you can hold it up as you try to compose your shot. You definitely need a tripod too. I was amazed at how particular you've got to be to get it right - even moving right or left just a very few inches can make a huge difference. But the guy who took these newer pictures has got it bang on - even the doorways, lines of the edges of the road, etc. are all perfectly aligned!

Kind Regards,

John.