The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - To nicol_g: Thanks for your question
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 AM
TE Expert

Default To nicol_g: Thanks for your question

Dear Nicol:
Thank you for your good question. By asking it, you told me you focused closely with full attention on what I offered here in TE.

Are the dry terraces a common sight?
Yes and No.
Yes, the dry portions are newly leveled pads that Hani minority people just developped and completed the turn-around task from hill slope into terraced fields. At this point, they are awaiting for the rain to fill water in so they could cultivate vegetables for the first year. This step would turn the soil into well-done status before being ready for rice planting. The more population grows, the more land need to be broken up for tillage.
No, because landscape photographers prefer to leave these areas without water and reflection out of their composition by purpose. The raw parts don't give the viewers good feeling and damage the beauty of Yuanyang. As a farmer since teenager, I had the different approach to cultivation. Therefore, I decided to enclose the dry pads in my picture to hint a contrast, and to tell how hard Hani people must earn their meal using bare hands with the absence of all machinery...

Hopefully my explaination brings a correct answer to your curiosity, my friend.

Thanh